FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Iron Man DeLorean

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Update on Iron Man Delorean NEW FRONT END WIRING DIAGRAM

Attached is diagram of the Stock Delorean Wiring in the front bonnet area of the car. This shows exactly where the wires are located. An interesting find is the hidden
    channel inside the fiberglass frame that the wiring goes through!

Now you know where to look for the actual wires
    Attached Images

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post

Now you know where to look for the actual wires
    After over 35 years someone finally figured it out

New steering wheel with controls

We have been considering a new steering wheel with various controls that many high end cars have. The question we have had was how to they transfer the control information from the switches. One thought we had was the use of a microprocessor and a single wire data bus. I know that one after market paddle shifter product does do this via blue tooth.

However, in talking with one of my AMC cars friends at the AMC car show in LV yesterday, he said he was working on a similar upgrade for the Javelin. It turns out that Chrysler and other car steering wheels use a ribbon cable that floats
    around the steering column when you turn the wheel. These flat ribbon cables are expensive to replace >$100. Anyway. this information makes is possible to use a model multifunction steering wheel in the Iron Man Delorean.

Now we just have to chose a steering column.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by valdez View Post
    This should be interesting.
    Lotus windows? That must have been a pain to make fit.
    How did you get red Delorean seats?
    They are custom windows designed to fit the Delorean. JZD came to Cleveland to see these back in 2000.
    He said that he argued with his engineers for 2 years to put in full size windows and they gave up.

He knew it could be done and finally saw it for real. He was really excited and smiled. Not something you saw JZD do very often.

How did you get red Delorean seats?[/QUOTE]

Vinyl maroon paint. I have used this SEM paint for years. It lasts and wears very well especially with a clear coat topping.

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    When I saw the title, I was sort of expecting more in terms of modern or futuristic style tech like a Tesla style screen or digital dash, etc.
    Seeing the post, I'm impressed. One of the best mods I believe are the full size windows.
    We are planning a digit touch screen interface as well as a digital dash.

Something for the future. Kevin Krimm presents on this at Delorean Weekend.

Update on Iron Man Delorean

YELLOW TURNING LIGHTS IN THE MIRRORS.
    There are sufficient extra wires in the doors to do this. I am going to use the yellow heated mirror wire.

Well, this turned out to be more difficult and interesting. I started looking for a yellow wire in the wiring harness. No yellow wire?
    I wanted to try and fix the ground wire that appeared to be broken so I decided to take off the T Panel and check out the wiring to the doors.
    Surprise! The "yellow" heated mirror wires are NOT hooked up!

REWIRING THE WINDOW SWITCHES TO THE DOORS.
    I am installing a new center console with a storage tray and USB power supplies and 2 cup holders. I MOVED the window switches to the Doors.
    YES, there are more than enough wires to do this in the stock Delorean wiring harness. I have never heard of anyone actually trying to get these to work, so I guess it is good that no one tried. They would have been very frustrated.

I had some old Delorean wiring so I found some wiring plugs and pins to insert and hook up wires to the yellow wires. Now the problem became how to get these wires to the back of the car. I drilled a 1/4" hole into the steel T bar reinforcement and fished the new "yellow" power wires through. So now I can use these to power the yellow turn signals in the mirrors.

I will attach pictures later. It turned out that removing the old flat mirror allows one to unscrew the power mirror motor and gain access to the back of the mirror housing. I cut this with my Dremel saw to match the length of 6 LED COB strip. Glued this strip onto the piece I cut from the mirror housing and the fiberglassed this into the house. Poured 2 part clear decopage coating over the LED strip to make a clear seal.

Repainted the 40 year old mirror housing and reinstalled onto the door with wiring to the yellow wire and additional black ground wire.

Again, I was disappointed at the gauge of wires supplying the power window motors. These wires take a very long path to the power window motors and hence have both a voltage and current drop. STANDARD GM design is at least 12 ga to window motors. Why are Ds only 16 ga?

Anyway I got around this by using the 14/12 ga wires that when to the old HEAVY OUTDATED door lock solenoids. I am using Toby's linear actuators.

The wiring now goes to the doors and then to the FULL SIZE power window motors. I cut out the extra 4 feeting of wiring that went to the center console switches. Much cleaner now and the cup holder goes right in.

I ran into one glitch. The 12 Ga grounding wire to the passenger door (formerly to the solenoid) appears to be broken. I am guess at the door flex point. Simply got around this problem by making the red with white strip wire the ground.

While solving the yellow wire mystery I decided to figure out what is going on with the black 12 ga wire to the passenger door. It turned out that this was result of the strange wiring arrangement to the doors.

The wiring to the doors is composed of 12ga and 14 ga wires. Interestingly, these are split and reorganized above the doors inside the tiny space in the T Panel. The 12 ga wires go one way and the 14 ga wires go another. The 12 ga wires go to the driver side and then across the back to the fuse panel. The 14 gas wires go to the passenger side and then to the fuse box area. You can not assume that each wiring set is for each door.

what this means is that there are actually 8 plug pieces in the tiny T panel space! getting these out and apart is tricky!

what I found is that the window switch wire from the drivers door to the passenger door - would go to the drivers side rear panel across the back package shelf then up the passenger speaker area to the T panel, then down the passenger door to the window switch. This is a waste of 6 feet of wiring. Why not just connect these wire together in the T panel area? So that is what I did.

This was a very inefficient and wasteful wiring design. My pile of removed poorly designed wiring is getting bigger.

So I still have at least 4 - 6 unused wires in each door. I will used some of these for the wings a loft linear actuators. But I still
    have spare wires. Might put some illuminated switches in the door. Crazy that these extra wires were essentially unused!

The story continues. Have some final ideas for the new fascia.

Update on Iron Man Delorean- LED Mirror Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    YELLOW TURNING LIGHTS IN THE MIRRORS.
    There are sufficient extra wires in the doors to do this. I am going to use the yellow heated mirror wire.

Well, this turned out to be more difficult and interesting. I started looking for a yellow wire in the wiring harness. No yellow wire?
    I wanted to try and fix the ground wire that appeared to be broken so I decided to take off the T Panel and check out the wiring to the doors.
    Surprise! The "yellow" heated mirror wires are NOT hooked up!

REWIRING THE WINDOW SWITCHES TO THE DOORS.
    I am installing a new center console with a storage tray and USB power supplies and 2 cup holders. I MOVED the window switches to the Doors.
    YES, there are more than enough wires to do this in the stock Delorean wiring harness. I have never heard of anyone actually trying to get these to work, so I guess it is good that no one tried. They would have been very frustrated.

I had some old Delorean wiring so I found some wiring plugs and pins to insert and hook up wires to the yellow wires. Now the problem became how to get these wires to the back of the car. I drilled a 1/4" hole into the steel T bar reinforcement and fished the new "yellow" power wires through. So now I can use these to power the yellow turn signals in the mirrors.

I will attach pictures later. It turned out that removing the old flat mirror allows one to unscrew the power mirror motor and gain access to the back of the mirror housing. I cut this with my Dremel saw to match the length of 6 LED COB strip. Glued this strip onto the piece I cut from the mirror housing and the fiberglassed this into the house. Poured 2 part clear decopage coating over the LED strip to make a clear seal.

Repainted the 40 year old mirror housing and reinstalled onto the door with wiring to the yellow wire and additional black ground wire.

Again, I was disappointed at the gauge of wires supplying the power window motors. These wires take a very long path to the power window motors and hence have both a voltage and current drop. STANDARD GM design is at least 12 ga to window motors. Why are Ds only 16 ga?

Anyway I got around this by using the 14/12 ga wires that when to the old HEAVY OUTDATED door lock solenoids. I am using Toby's linear actuators.

The wiring now goes to the doors and then to the FULL SIZE power window motors. I cut out the extra 4 feeting of wiring that went to the center console switches. Much cleaner now and the cup holder goes right in.

I ran into one glitch. The 12 Ga grounding wire to the passenger door (formerly to the solenoid) appears to be broken. I am guess at the door flex point. Simply got around this problem by making the red with white strip wire the ground.

While solving the yellow wire mystery I decided to figure out what is going on with the black 12 ga wire to the passenger door. It turned out that this was result of the strange wiring arrangement to the doors.

The wiring to the doors is composed of 12ga and 14 ga wires. Interestingly, these are split and reorganized above the doors inside the tiny space in the T Panel. The 12 ga wires go one way and the 14 ga wires go another. The 12 ga wires go to the driver side and then across the back to the fuse panel. The 14 gas wires go to the passenger side and then to the fuse box area. You can not assume that each wiring set is for each door.

what this means is that there are actually 8 plug pieces in the tiny T panel space! getting these out and apart is tricky!

what I found is that the window switch wire from the drivers door to the passenger door - would go to the drivers side rear panel across the back package shelf then up the passenger speaker area to the T panel, then down the passenger door to the window switch. This is a waste of 6 feet of wiring. Why not just connect these wire together in the T panel area? So that is what I did.

This was a very inefficient and wasteful wiring design. My pile of removed poorly designed wiring is getting bigger.

So I still have at least 4 - 6 unused wires in each door. I will used some of these for the wings a loft linear actuators. But I still
    have spare wires. Might put some illuminated switches in the door. Crazy that these extra wires were essentially unused!

The story continues. Have some final ideas for the new fascia.
    Here are the mirror pics
    Attached Images

Update on Iron Man Delorean-T Panel wiring plugs

Here are the T Panel door wiring pics
    Attached Images

My VIN:    Early

I did the window switches in the door mod back in 2017 when I finished my electronic cluster install. I utilized relays in the doors to allow control of the passenger window from the drivers side.

I had these cut from a block of abs to replace the non functional door vents.
    A+ Gallery_9.jpg

So, I'm curious. How did you mount your switches?
    Last edited by 81dmc; 03-20-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast