Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Should I?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  May 2018

    Posts:    6

    Should I?

    I am getting my license in a few months and was wondering if the delorean would make a good first car. The delorean seems easy to maintain and the engine bay is open and allows for access to important components without too much "digging". I have experience diagnosing and maintaining other cars (My dad's 2000 BMW 528i) and know how to use torque wrenches, ratchets, and breaker bars. The K-jet system is a bit more complex than I'd like, but it's not nearly as bad as D-jetronic. The delorean also lacks power steering and VANOS, two major components which should make it easier to maintain than the BMW. The prices on delorean components aren't too bad (Cheaper than E39 528i components), and I have saved up quite a bit over the past 15 years. ($25,000, it wasn't easy!) I plan to use the initial $15k to purchase a well- maintained delorean, and the last 10k for maintenance (No labor price here-I have more than adequate experience to tackle any issue a car could throw at me). I am well aware of the "project car spiral" and I have found examples with the major things like the clutch and brake master cylinders as well the fuel pump replaced for under $15k. My bigger question here is, why haven't people replaced components like 37-year-old fuel lines and 15 amp fans with low current ones on their cars? Driving around and selling a ticking time bomb seems pretty dumb to me. Insurance Isn't a problem, as I can get it insured under my mom or dad. If I end up not getting a delorean, I will probably have to buy my dad's 528, which is harder to maintain and has lower fuel economy compounded by a hard to repair automatic transmission. (At least it has steptronic )So what do you think? Should I take the plunge?

  2. #2
    Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  atlanta, ga, usa, earth, sol, milky way

    Posts:    1,055

    My VIN:    2072

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by fmprocks26 View Post
    I am getting my license in a few months and was wondering if the delorean would make a good first car. The delorean seems easy to maintain and the engine bay is open and allows for access to important components without too much "digging". I have experience diagnosing and maintaining other cars (My dad's 2000 BMW 528i) and know how to use torque wrenches, ratchets, and breaker bars. The K-jet system is a bit more complex than I'd like, but it's not nearly as bad as D-jetronic. The delorean also lacks power steering and VANOS, two major components which should make it easier to maintain than the BMW. The prices on delorean components aren't too bad (Cheaper than E39 528i components), and I have saved up quite a bit over the past 15 years. ($25,000, it wasn't easy!) I plan to use the initial $15k to purchase a well- maintained delorean, and the last 10k for maintenance (No labor price here-I have more than adequate experience to tackle any issue a car could throw at me). I am well aware of the "project car spiral" and I have found examples with the major things like the clutch and brake master cylinders as well the fuel pump replaced for under $15k. My bigger question here is, why haven't people replaced components like 37-year-old fuel lines and 15 amp fans with low current ones on their cars? Driving around and selling a ticking time bomb seems pretty dumb to me. Insurance Isn't a problem, as I can get it insured under my mom or dad. If I end up not getting a delorean, I will probably have to buy my dad's 528, which is harder to maintain and has lower fuel economy compounded by a hard to repair automatic transmission. (At least it has steptronic )So what do you think? Should I take the plunge?
    You won't find a well-maintained drivable Delorean for 15k these days. You're young. Get a beater car and drive it into the ground. A Delorean does not make a good first car.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  May 2018

    Posts:    6

    Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    You won't find a well-maintained drivable Delorean for 15k these days. You're young. Get a beater car and drive it into the ground. A Delorean does not make a good first car.
    Links removed

    What about these? They look pretty good. Is there something I'm missing?
    Last edited by Soundkillr; 07-18-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Hot links killed

  4. #4
    Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  atlanta, ga, usa, earth, sol, milky way

    Posts:    1,055

    My VIN:    2072

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Why do I get the feeling that this is just a spam post to promote a shady "car" site?

    You will not find a reasonable condition delorean for under 20k, and that'd be a steal at todays prices.

  5. #5
    Senior Member OverlandMan's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rowlett, TX

    Posts:    1,498

    My VIN:    5482

    Quote Originally Posted by fmprocks26 View Post
    I am getting my license in a few months and was wondering if the delorean would make a good first car. The delorean seems easy to maintain and the engine bay is open and allows for access to important components without too much "digging". I have experience diagnosing and maintaining other cars (My dad's 2000 BMW 528i) and know how to use torque wrenches, ratchets, and breaker bars. The K-jet system is a bit more complex than I'd like, but it's not nearly as bad as D-jetronic. The delorean also lacks power steering and VANOS, two major components which should make it easier to maintain than the BMW. The prices on delorean components aren't too bad (Cheaper than E39 528i components), and I have saved up quite a bit over the past 15 years. ($25,000, it wasn't easy!) I plan to use the initial $15k to purchase a well- maintained delorean, and the last 10k for maintenance (No labor price here-I have more than adequate experience to tackle any issue a car could throw at me). I am well aware of the "project car spiral" and I have found examples with the major things like the clutch and brake master cylinders as well the fuel pump replaced for under $15k. My bigger question here is, why haven't people replaced components like 37-year-old fuel lines and 15 amp fans with low current ones on their cars? Driving around and selling a ticking time bomb seems pretty dumb to me. Insurance Isn't a problem, as I can get it insured under my mom or dad. If I end up not getting a delorean, I will probably have to buy my dad's 528, which is harder to maintain and has lower fuel economy compounded by a hard to repair automatic transmission. (At least it has steptronic )So what do you think? Should I take the plunge?
    If you saved up $25k already for your first car (good for you BTW!), I would get a nice, newer car that would be more reliable and not a huge PITA to replace/repair if you had a wreck.


    As badly as I wanted a DeLorean when I was in High School, I'm very glad I became an owner much later in life. Knowing now many of the "quirks" of these little cars, I can't imagine having to fiddle with that on a 16 yr old budget and 16 yr old general knowledge and life experience.

  6. #6
    Senior Member DavidProehl's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Maple Grove, MN (Minneapolis)

    Posts:    1,252

    My VIN:    05457

    Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that this is just a spam post to promote a shady "car" site?

    You will not find a reasonable condition delorean for under 20k, and that'd be a steal at todays prices.
    Ha! Was thinking the same thing after seeing those links.

    If this is a legit post, please do yourself a favor and don't buy a DeLorean as a first car. They can be reliable daily drivers, but you will need to spend more than $25k to make that happen, and getting a $15k car to a reliable state will consume your life.

    Also, unless you are about to make a lot of money for a teenager (>$50k per year) having $25k+ tied up in a car likely would hold you back from other financial goals. Stay the course, you'll get there. Just give yourself 5-10 years when spending $40-50k on a DeLorean won't be as big of a deal for you as spending $25k today is.
    David Proehl

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    7,115

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    uh-huh

    Your dad drives a car 3 years older than you are, yet you have managed to save $25k in cash. ?

    And D-jet wasn't used in the E39



    Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that this is just a spam post to promote a shady "car" site?
    Indeed.

    None of those cars are presently for sale, certainly not at the listed prices
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

  8. #8
    Senior Member Alex Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Bend, Oregon

    Posts:    151

    My VIN:    10020, formerly 01955

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    You won't find a well-maintained drivable Delorean for 15k these days. You're young. Get a beater car and drive it into the ground. A Delorean does not make a good first car.
    I had a DeLorean when I was 16 I think I paid about 8000 for it but it was in 2004. It was not my only car I had 97 grand Cherokee I drove daily.
    Alex Brooks

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  May 2018

    Posts:    6

    Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    If you saved up $25k already for your first car (good for you BTW!), I would get a nice, newer car that would be more reliable and not a huge PITA to replace/repair if you had a wreck.


    As badly as I wanted a DeLorean when I was in High School, I'm very glad I became an owner much later in life. Knowing now many of the "quirks" of these little cars, I can't imagine having to fiddle with that on a 16 yr old budget and 16 yr old general knowledge and life experience.
    I am not a fan of cars produced after 2000, as newer cars have tons of electronics and their engine bays have components that are piled on top of each other in a bid to make the cars more compact. My family's 2013 Honda Odyssey is a pain in the a$$ to maintain since the engine bay is super cramped. (You have to remove the air box to acess the BATTERY). I'm suprised when people complain about DeLorean quirks, as they seem MUCH more straightforward than modern cars. The most complex they get is k-jet, but even that is simpler than modern twin-turbo engines, designed from the factory to be maintained in shops, not at home. The most attractive feature of the DeLorean is the lack of a uni body steel frame. Virtually any components, including frame pices, can be replaced. This means that the DeLorean could last a hundred years I'd you wanted to. I intend to buy the DeLorean and have it last a lifetime. This is something that new cars simply cannot do.

  10. #10
    Stupid Newbie DaraSue's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2016

    Location:  The LC

    Posts:    854

    My VIN:    10907

    Sure, Mattycakes, go for it

    (On the off chance this is legit- like most everybody else, I'd recommend against it. Even if you/your family have the money/mechanical skills to deal with restoration & maintenance, statistically there's a high chance you're going to wreck it. Get a beater Honda and save your money to get a nicer car in a few years when you've got a decent job and your own place.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •