I am getting my license in a few months and was wondering if the delorean would make a good first car. The delorean seems easy to maintain and the engine bay is open and allows for access to important components without too much "digging". I have experience diagnosing and maintaining other cars (My dad's 2000 BMW 528i) and know how to use torque wrenches, ratchets, and breaker bars. The K-jet system is a bit more complex than I'd like, but it's not nearly as bad as D-jetronic. The delorean also lacks power steering and VANOS, two major components which should make it easier to maintain than the BMW. The prices on delorean components aren't too bad (Cheaper than E39 528i components), and I have saved up quite a bit over the past 15 years. ($25,000, it wasn't easy!) I plan to use the initial $15k to purchase a well- maintained delorean, and the last 10k for maintenance (No labor price here-I have more than adequate experience to tackle any issue a car could throw at me). I am well aware of the "project car spiral" and I have found examples with the major things like the clutch and brake master cylinders as well the fuel pump replaced for under $15k. My bigger question here is, why haven't people replaced components like 37-year-old fuel lines and 15 amp fans with low current ones on their cars? Driving around and selling a ticking time bomb seems pretty dumb to me. Insurance Isn't a problem, as I can get it insured under my mom or dad. If I end up not getting a delorean, I will probably have to buy my dad's 528, which is harder to maintain and has lower fuel economy compounded by a hard to repair automatic transmission. (At least it has steptronic )So what do you think? Should I take the plunge?