FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should I?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

What is ....? I've never heard of that site before. There is no way any of those prices are legitimate.

Also, this listing is for the old "world's fastest delorean" If anything about this listing is legitimate, we need proof (dyno'd at 707.8HP.... sure...). Last post I remember about this car was that the engine was beat, and it was being rebuilt naturally aspirated.

Also no, you should not buy a DeLorean for your first car. Go with that BMW that you're familiar with, and then buy the DeLorean once you have a reliable daily driver.

EDIT: According to scamadviser.com yupyi has an extremely low trust rating: https://www.scamadviser.com/is-yupyi...fake-site.html
    The domain itself is only 45 days old, launched on June 3rd, which makes at least 3 of those listings complete BS, as they claim that the vehicles were listed for sale in May. Every bit of this has "Scam" written all over it.
    Find a new site to search for cars on.

2018-07-18_11-42-09.jpg2018-07-18_11-39-20.jpg
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 07-18-2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Did more research.

My VIN:    5368

OP you shouldn't buy one as a daily driver.

Yes some things are easier to replace since they is more space but some are just as hard as any car and require contorting yourself or reaching in blind spots to fix. Also while modern systems have some complexities it does help to have OBD as a guide to where to start to look for an issue. Older cars without it require some level of patience and some skill to debug electrical and mechanical issues without a "check engine light code".

I think you need to research a little more on cost vs condition (call the sellers, I found most ads outdated or incorrect when looking for mine), the lower end ones will have issues that cannot be fixed without fabrication or body work knowledge which in turn means way more $$ for repairs than planned...

There are daily drivers out there but it took some TLC to get them to that condition and/or to maintain them in that state, those are my two cents..
    Vin 5368. October 81 Grey Manual

My VIN:    3028

Go ahead and buy one. You seem to know what you are doing. I mean you are young, and obviously have all the answers. Don’t listen to everyone here with experience, we are probably all old crabby men (and women). A 30plus year Frankenstein car as your first ride, what could go wrong?
    Barry

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Mods - should probably remove the spam links. This is most likely an attempt to raise the search ranking of that site.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by fmprocks26 View Post
    I am not a fan of cars produced after 2000, as newer cars have tons of electronics and their engine bays have components that are piled on top of each other in a bid to make the cars more compact. My family's 2013 Honda Odyssey is a pain in the a$$ to maintain since the engine bay is super cramped. (You have to remove the air box to acess the BATTERY). I'm suprised when people complain about DeLorean quirks, as they seem MUCH more straightforward than modern cars. The most complex they get is k-jet, but even that is simpler than modern twin-turbo engines, designed from the factory to be maintained in shops, not at home. The most attractive feature of the DeLorean is the lack of a uni body steel frame. Virtually any components, including frame pices, can be replaced. This means that the DeLorean could last a hundred years I'd you wanted to. I intend to buy the DeLorean and have it last a lifetime. This is something that new cars simply cannot do.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    What is .....? I've never heard of that site before. There is no way any of those prices are legitimate.

Also, this listing is for the old "world's fastest delorean" If anything about this listing is legitimate, we need proof (dyno'd at 707.8HP.... sure...). Last post I remember about this car was that the engine was beat, and it was being rebuilt naturally aspirated.

Also no, you should not buy a DeLorean for your first car. Go with that BMW that you're familiar with, and then buy the DeLorean once you have a reliable daily driver.

EDIT: According to scamadviser.com yupyi has an extremely low trust rating: https://www.scamadviser.com/is-yupyi...fake-site.html
    The domain itself is only 45 days old, launched on June 3rd, which makes at least 3 of those listings complete BS, as they claim that the vehicles were listed for sale in May. Every bit of this has "Scam" written all over it.
    Find a new site to search for cars on.

2018-07-18_11-42-09.jpg2018-07-18_11-39-20.jpg
    I got to that site via ..., which has a high trust rating. I am not 100% sure ...is legit. I'll see if I can contact any of the sellers for additional pictures which should prove or disprove the site's legitimacy. I'll update this thread if the attempts are succesful. I DID however find other 14k DeLoreans on oodle, but I'm not sure if they're legit.

Quote Originally Posted by fmprocks26 View Post
    I got to that site via oodle, which has a high trust rating. I am not 100% sure yupyi is legit. I'll see if I can contact any of the sellers for additional pictures which should prove or disprove the site's legitimacy. I'll update this thread if the attempts are succesful. I DID however find other 14k DeLoreans on oodle, but I'm not sure if they're legit.
    Have you not noticed that the sites you keep finding cheap deloreans on are not sites anyone has ever heard of?

Perhaps that's because they're all fake listings.

For a more realistic view, let's look at a still-slightly-not-reputable site, like eBay. I bought both of my Deloreans there.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/DeLorean-/3...srp=1&_fosrp=1

You'll see not much below 25k...and these are not fully restored.

My VIN:    3757

When you get older, you will understand, the cheap turns out expensive. Even if you do the labor yourself... There will be a lot of down time, and waiting for parts. If you have a job, and you need transportation, a first car should be reliable.... DeLorean is best as a FUN car. I am glad you like the car, but as a 2nd car, it makes better sense.

My .02

Craig

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Crooked DeLorean owners quashing the dreams of innocent children just because they want the same car for themselves. Sad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast