FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Best way to clean caliber housing.

My VIN:    3028

Best way to clean caliber housing.

I was wondering what is the best way to clean the calipers now that I have them separated . What is the best solution (acetone, wd-40?) What type of scrubbing pad or brush should I use as to not ruin the original Girling finish.

Thank you for your replies.
    Barry

My VIN:    03500

Part's cleaner enough to submerge for a soak and a nylon brush should be fine.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi. Yes, soaking the calipers halves in parts cleaner, or engine cleaner is good. After soaking, I used a stiff nylon brush and a green/ blue scotch pad as needed. Then, I wet sanded piston cup with 600 grit sandpaper and engine cleaner. I was particularly careful to get all the gunk out of the groove in the cup where the seal ring goes. Avoid anything acidic like vinegar otherwise you’ll strip the yellow top coat off the plating.

Last edited by DMC-81; 07-20-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3028

Good info, exactly the advice I was looking for. I was thinking of using vinegar, thanks for warning me.
    Barry

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Good info, exactly the advice I was looking for. I was thinking of using vinegar, thanks for warning me.
    Good to hear. You are welcome.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    I was wondering what is the best way to clean the calipers now that I have them separated . What is the best solution (acetone, wd-40?) What type of scrubbing pad or brush should I use as to not ruin the original Girling finish.

Thank you for your replies.
    You don't have much of a coating left to worry about! Your caliper rebuild will last much longer if you send them out to a cadmium plater and use stainless pistons like we do.
    Rob