FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max number of trailing arm shims / spacers

My VIN:    3472 (former), 1141

Club(s):   (RMDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Max number of trailing arm shims / spacers

Anyone know of official documents that state how many of the rear trailing arm spacers/shims (part number 106680).

Aside from official docs, any recommendations?

I am trying to get my car certified to make it road legal in New Zealand, and they do not like that there are spacers in there at all (but I can show them it is a valid part and acceptable usage). what I cannot find is how many should be used.

Thanks!

Michael
    Michael Babb

My VIN:    03500

Looks like to be 5. But I would call DMCH and ask if they could send a document saying that they are required.

My VIN:    16409

The shims is how toe in is set for alignment. Show them page 10 of the technical information manual. You can find it here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?28...Engine-Manuals

Page 10a.jpg
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 07-21-2018 at 02:10 AM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Babb View Post
    Anyone know of official documents that state how many of the rear trailing arm spacers/shims (part number 106680).

Aside from official docs, any recommendations?

I am trying to get my car certified to make it road legal in New Zealand, and they do not like that there are spacers in there at all (but I can show them it is a valid part and acceptable usage). what I cannot find is how many should be used.

Thanks!

Michael
    Thanks - should have said - how many max. I know they are for toe in, just wondering if there is an official "not to exceed" count.
    Michael Babb

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Looks like to be 5. But I would call DMCH and ask if they could send a document saying that they are required.
    Thanks. Some doc where you have seen 5 listed? I think I am OK with the suspension page from the shop manual (we well as the DMCH store page, showing part number and picture) to prove they are allowed. I am hoping to also find documentation saying that not only are they allowed, but you can use up to X number without issue to help satisfy the inspectors here.
    Michael Babb

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Refer to Parts Manual 5-3-0 fig #26 aka part number 106680 washer-shim with a limit of 5 per side. I suggest writing the # of shims on the frame for future work after alignment. Also refer to Service Bulletin ST-34-1/82 for proper alignment procedures. Be aware there are shims that are 1/16" thick and shims that are 1/32". The max would be for (5) 1/16" shims for a total of 5/16". It is not the actual # of shims but the total thickness that is the limit. Good practice is to always use the thickest shims so you use the smallest # possible. You should not see more than (1) 1/32" shim per side if any. If it takes more than 5 to get the correct spec something is worn, bent, or broken.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

u!
    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Refer to Parts Manual 5-3-0 fig #26 aka part number 106680 washer-shim with a limit of 5 per side. I suggest writing the # of shims on the frame for future work after alignment. Also refer to Service Bulletin ST-34-1/82 for proper alignment procedures. Be aware there are shims that are 1/16" thick and shims that are 1/32". The max would be for (5) 1/16" shims for a total of 5/16". It is not the actual # of shims but the total thickness that is the limit. Good practice is to always use the thickest shims so you use the smallest # possible. You should not see more than (1) 1/32" shim per side if any. If it takes more than 5 to get the correct spec something is worn, bent, or broken.
    I hate to correct "The Guru" (It's like looking a gift horse in the mouth!) but DMCL had only one part # and thickness for NOS shims. That was and still is 106680 and the thickness of .082" or 2.1mm doesn't convert tidely to a fraction of an inch landing in the no mans land between 5/64ths and 3/32nds. That's assuming of course the cheesy Pittsburg calipers I'm using are accurate! Grabbing my more trustworthy old school Mitutoyo yields an .082" reading as well. In any case a proper 1/32" size would come in handy for fine tuning the alignment and they are on my "to do" list but do not currently exist in the exact outline of the original. Substituting generic shims is risky on a Delorean as the narrow bolt shoulder allows no room for a sloppy fit. And yes the Service Bulletin does say they are 1/16" but you can't believe everything you read. The factory Parts Manual (exploded view) actually shows the TAB installed backwards and remains uncorrected in the DMCH manual online. Again just because it's in print doesn't make it correct.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Thanks David!
    Michael Babb

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/26...ss-assortment/

Mike,

Here’s my recommendation on parts to use if you are doing work in this area. Gives opportunity for more precision in the set up. For reference this is what was used on my own cars. Good luck!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Mike,

Here’s my recommendation on parts to use if you are doing work in this area. Gives opportunity for more precision in the set up. For reference this is what was used on my own cars. Good luck!
    Stainless in this application would scare me. Sometimes you just want to use normal or hardened steel. Hardness is more controllable. In the New Zealand case, they really don't like aftermarket/unapproved anything. I've never seen the OEM ones rust more than superficially.

Also the OEM shims are tapered at the opening to resist falling off the bolt. The SS versions seem to be straight. Slightly harder to install at a minimum.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast