FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Hood latch adjustment

Hood latch adjustment

Greetings,
    My hood is just a bit high in the rear when closed. If I could lower the hood latch by 1/8th it would be flush. Is the hood latch height adjustable? Just looking at the parts manual, it's hard to tell.

Hood Latch parts.JPG

Thanks,
    Ron

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Greetings,
    My hood is just a bit high in the rear when closed. If I could lower the hood latch by 1/8th it would be flush. Is the hood latch height adjustable? Just looking at the parts manual, it's hard to tell.

Hood Latch parts.JPG

Thanks,
    Ron
    Yes but never enough! Take it off, install on a bench vise, and remove some material from the upper edge of the mounting holes. This mod also helps to ensure the hood pops open without having to tug on it with your spare hand.
    Rob

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Yes but never enough! Take it off, install on a bench vise, and remove some material from the upper edge of the mounting holes. This mod also helps to ensure the hood pops open without having to tug on it with your spare hand.
    Rob
    I really need to do this.

It will help with it leaking in the rain too I would assume.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Agreed, I cut the holes open a lot more to get mine where it needed to be. While you have it apart, spray down the mechanism with some carb cleaner or similar to get rid of all the old gunk and then re-grease it. It was a world of difference in operation once I did that.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When adjusting the latch, you elongate the holes to get additional movement so you can lower the latch. Cleaning and regreasing is good. Make sure the latch bar on the hood falls into the center of the latch without rubbing on the sides. I have seen some bars so worn they are almost cut. The fix is to remove the bar, weld it up, grind it smooth, and then adjust it properly. Adjust the hood so the rear corners are slightly low. Then, using the bump stops, screw them up so the corners are flush with the fenders. This will keep the corners from jiggling while you drive. Make sure the capture brackets are lined up so they will engage the bump stops in the case of a catastrophic front end collision. It will keep the hood from decapitating the occupants. Shorten the small spring in the latch so the hood will "pop" up and that way you can open it with one hand. Inspect the ends of the release cable and if frayed replace it. Add a back-up cable just in case the release cable breaks.
    David Teitelbaum