FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Radiator Re-Installation Help

My VIN:    5780

Radiator Re-Installation Help

Hello all,

I am in the middle of installing a new DPI Radiator to replace a leaky one. I am to the point where I have the condenser and fans remounted, and am currently trying to get the radiator attached to the lower brackets (105805, 105806) and get the upper support brackets (106851, 106850) also screwed into the frame. I have all the hard pipes and flex connectors inserted, but not clamped down.

However, even with the minimum amount of nuts loosely screwed on, if I first attach the radiator to the lower brackets and the lower brackets to the frame, I can't get the upper brackets to reach their captive nut on the frame. If I first attach the upper brackets very loosely, then I can't put enough force to maneuver the radiator to line up with the lower brackets.

I'm hoping someone has had this problem before (I mean, I really wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I also want to benefit from their experience and get back on the road) and can say what worked for them.

My VIN:    3455

Quote Originally Posted by orbitron3000 View Post
    Hello all,

I am in the middle of installing a new DPI Radiator to replace a leaky one. I am to the point where I have the condenser and fans remounted, and am currently trying to get the radiator attached to the lower brackets (105805, 105806) and get the upper support brackets (106851, 106850) also screwed into the frame. I have all the hard pipes and flex connectors inserted, but not clamped down.

However, even with the minimum amount of nuts loosely screwed on, if I first attach the radiator to the lower brackets and the lower brackets to the frame, I can't get the upper brackets to reach their captive nut on the frame. If I first attach the upper brackets very loosely, then I can't put enough force to maneuver the radiator to line up with the lower brackets.

I'm hoping someone has had this problem before (I mean, I really wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I also want to benefit from their experience and get back on the road) and can say what worked for them.
    I just did this job last month and can sympathize with you. As I recall nothing went back together as easily as it came off (except the radiator duct which snapped right back into place on the first try). I had planned on doing the job alone, but a buddy happened to stop by and I don't think I could've managed getting it back in without him. It really helped having a 2nd person to help support the weight and line things up.

It may also help to remove the hoses and fit them on after you have nuts on bolts. Due to the new hardware the hoses may need to be trimmed and could be preventing you from getting things where they need to be, even if they're not clamped yet.

One thing I recall is that to get the radiator aligned with the lower brackets, we had to put a 12-18" piece of 2x4 between the radiator and ground as a wedge to get enough force to maneuver it into place. Not that it took a whole lot of force, but the position of the radiator didn't give us enough leverage to do it by hand.
    Last edited by CriticalB; 07-24-2018 at 12:36 AM.

One thing that help me (I think) was to do the bracket that angles up and connects the top to the frame last. See highlighted bracket in parts insert:
    Radiator Parts breakout.JPG

There is a bracket for each side connecting to the upper corners and I assume you removed both brackets to have room for the install. Get all your other bolts and nuts started first, then connect the bracket to the upper corners but only put the nut on a couple of turns. Now with someone helping push the radiator up, get the bottom bolt and washer [2] [3] started (having the top nut only on a couple of threads gives you the forward play needed to get the bottom bolt started). Once started it will winch into place as you tighten.

Good luck,
    Ron

My VIN:    5780

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalB View Post
    I just did this job last month and can sympathize with you. As I recall nothing went back together as easily as it came off (except the radiator duct which snapped right back into place on the first try). I had planned on doing the job alone, but a buddy happened to stop by and I don't think I could've managed getting it back in without him. It really helped having a 2nd person to help support the weight and line things up.

It may also help to remove the hoses and fit them on after you have nuts on bolts. Due to the new hardware the hoses may need to be trimmed and could be preventing you from getting things where they need to be, even if they're not clamped yet.

One thing I recall is that to get the radiator aligned with the lower brackets, we had to put a 12-18" piece of 2x4 between the radiator and ground as a wedge to get enough force to maneuver it into place. Not that it took a whole lot of force, but the position of the radiator didn't give us enough leverage to do it by hand.
    Thanks, CriticalB. I never even considered to do the flex hoses last, and certainly worth a try. I'm using a Home Depot bucket to provide support, but I think it's a little lacking, so I'll scare up some 2x4 to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    One thing that help me (I think) was to do the bracket that angles up and connects the top to the frame last. See highlighted bracket in parts insert:
    Radiator Parts breakout.JPG

There is a bracket for each side connecting to the upper corners and I assume you removed both brackets to have room for the install. Get all your other bolts and nuts started first, then connect the bracket to the upper corners but only put the nut on a couple of turns. Now with someone helping push the radiator up, get the bottom bolt and washer [2] [3] started (having the top nut only on a couple of threads gives you the forward play needed to get the bottom bolt started). Once started it will winch into place as you tighten.

Good luck,
    Ron
    Thanks, Ron. I might have made the mistake of tightening the top bolts thinking that that wouldn't make any difference in having the brackets reach the captive nuts on the frame. I've also been trying to pull the top of the rad towards the frame rather than pushing up on the bottom to have it rotate about the lower support brackets and the frame.

It sounds like both of you had another person to help, so that might be the great equalizer. Thanks very much for your suggestions!