FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How to remove wooden rear bulkhead pieces?

My VIN:    16795

How to remove wooden rear bulkhead pieces?

How do you remove the two wooden lower bulkhead pieces, part #s 106193 and 106192?

I see the two screws at the tops of each piece near the center of the car, but it's not clear what else is holding those parts in.

Thanks

- Jason

My VIN:    4519

Neither of my cars had anything holding them in place.

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Neither of my cars had anything holding them in place.
    Are you sure? I don't mean the covers over the fuse/relay and ecu areas. I mean the vertical panels with the cubby hole cutouts that go in front of the battery and storage compartment areas.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I think mine are glued or epoxied in place. I tried to remove mine when doing my engine conversion and wiring for the MS unit and gave up.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Iirc the center part is screwed to the outter, but the outters are glued.... a lot of glue..

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I just took mine out. The screws only hold the small center section to the two side pieces. Each of those is MASSIVELY glued/epoxied to the fiberglass. I just worked it off by prying with a screwdriver and a pry bar. Go slow and the epoxy yields. Pull it from the center of the car and you won't have to remove the quarter panel trim piece that it tucks behind. There are no hidden screws anywhere, it just seems like it.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I just took mine out. The screws only hold the small center section to the two side pieces. Each of those is MASSIVELY glued/epoxied to the fiberglass. I just worked it off by prying with a screwdriver and a pry bar. Go slow and the epoxy yields. Pull it from the center of the car and you won't have to remove the quarter panel trim piece that it tucks behind. There are no hidden screws anywhere, it just seems like it.
    Sorry for the terrible, horrible, 5 year thread resurrection but... is there a good way to actually get the epoxy off the fiberglass to facilitate bonding a new bulkhead board? The bottom edge of my driver's side board is all cracked apart and I was going to put a new one in place, to better hold the subwoofer - but not if it's going to be a nightmare of that green shit epoxy things were built with. I'm sure I can smash up the existing board to get it out, but prepping the surface to bond a new one in place worries me a bit.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Just a standard DA sander with aggressive paper is what I used.