FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cold Start Problem--Won't wake from 23 year nap.

My VIN:    10144

Yes I am sure it is the RPM. I recently replaced it. When I jumper it, I hear the pump going continuously. It won’t start. Then I pull the jumper and it does.

Could I have one of the fuel lines hooked up wrong so that when the pump is going the pressure on a return line obstructs fuel flow?

I just watched the old K-jet video last night and there were so many check valves in the system that I was wondering..,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Here is a useful reference you can compare your fuel line routing to:

https://delorean.co.nz/mydmc/wp-cont...Hose-Route.jpg
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I could see it doing that if the CSV line was swapped with the small WUR/CPR line (going to the Fuel Distributor).

If the lines check out, does it run for 2-3 seconds after installing then removing the relay/jumper every time, basically?

After it ran the 2-3 seconds:
    Did you try to get it running and/or keep it running with starting fluid?...while the relay/jumper was removed?

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

pump

My new DMCH fuel pump got hooked up
    backwards and had similar issues....

That diagram looks very helpful. I’ll go over everything tomorrow but I bet something’s not routed correctly.

I’m getting close. Hoping to actually drive the car one day...

I’ll update tomorrow.

OK. I figured it out. I checked all of the fuel lines to make sure I had them hooked up right. They were. I even pulled out the fuel pump just to make sure all was good with those connections, etc. All was fine.

Then I did the start thing without the RPM relay while reaching over from the passenger side (the seats are out) and it started. Before it died, I quickly plugged in the relay and it stumbled for a second or two but kept going. It seemed like it was running VERY rich though. I used the allen wrench, while it was running, to lean the mixture and as I did it, the car ran smoother and smoother. I literally turned it counter-clockwise about 2 1/2 full turns (which I know is a lot). Car ran great, idled, smooth, etc. I let it run for a minute or so and then turned it off. Let it sit and tried again with the relay in and it started right up!!!! Runs very smooth and starts every time!!!

The idle is a bit high. It's running about 1100 RPM. I adjusted the timing and readusted the mixture slightly. Still high idle. I'm not going to worry about that today. I'm having a drink or two to celebrate!!!!

I am looking forward to getting the car ready to actually drive over the next week or two. I've got to bleed the coolant system, get the idle thing sorted out, and make sure my brake rebuild is all good before I try to hit the road.

Thanks to everybody for all the help. I'll keep you posted on progress!

Cheers!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Good job!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Rather unusual for the mixture unit to be so far off. Was it ever in a running car? Was it sent out to John H for rehabbing? Did the PO mess with it to possibly compensate for massive air leaks?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

Is there a standard amount of turn the mixture screw can go? I ask because the OP mentioned 2 and 1/2 turns and when I was doing mine, I think it went from a too rich stall to a too lean stall in only a half turn total. Like one extreme was 9 o'clock and the other extreme was 3 o'clock. I have not seen what exactly things look like inside to know what is turning so can't visualize what the limits might be (if any).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

If you watch the k-jet video on YouTube or look at the diagram for the mixture unit, the little screw goes between the flapper and the plunger of the FD. I agree the normal adjustment range is about 1/2 turn total.
    I bought the car as a “barely running” project. I never ran it since the fuel system needed a complete redo. I’m sure the PO “adjusted” the mixture to compensate for vacuum leaks and a gummed up fuel system. I’m just glad I figured it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast