FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Help to trace info on 11477

Help to trace info on 11477

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, but I’ve been a long time reader.

I bought 11477 back in April 2018. It was running, but required further work to get her roadworthy and legal here in the U.K.
    She’s now mechanically sound and I’m enjoying her immensely.
    I blogged my journey on my site www.newdelorean.co.uk if you wanted to see what I got up to.

As per my title, I’m looking for any history on the car. I’ve gleaned some info.

For example in the glove box the supplying dealer sticker is still there from Shepard’s Chevrolet.
    From Chicago, it went to live in Alabama. It was used and then sat for 10 years, based on what I’ve found out.
    Then a chap in the U.K. purchased from Alabama to sell on. I acquired from him.

She’s done 15,800 miles now. And from digging I saw an old US title from Alabama showing the miles at just over 11,000 back in 2001 so between 2001 and 2008 or so she covered just 4,500 miles. (I’ve done around 300)

So as you can see, I have some info and that may be all I’ll get. But you never know - the original owner may still be around and have some original documents that I could get a copy of.

Cheers
    Tris

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

11477 was listed in Chicago as an '82 5-speed w/ grey interior. Start with doing a Title search in Alabama and follow the Chain of Ownership back to the original owner in Illinois.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    11477 was listed in Chicago as an '82 5-speed w/ grey interior. Start with doing a Title search in Alabama and follow the Chain of Ownership back to the original owner in Illinois.
    Thanks David. Yes it was originally from Shepard’s Chevrolet according to the dealer sticker on the car.

How do I go about performing a title search? Sorry if it’s a silly question - I’m not sure how that works being from the U.K.

Thanks for your time

Tris

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You would go to the DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) in the State you wish to check and find the forms for doing a search. Fill them out and send it in along with some money and wait for a response. It should come back with the names and addresses of the previous buyer and seller, dates, and mileage. If the seller was out of State it will tell you which State and then you file a search in that State till you get to the original owner. Depending on how many owners and how many States the car was Titled in, it can be time consuming and expensive. Some States charge a minimal fee, others much more. Some States do it quickly, some not so fast. The older the car the longer it takes, many States did not computerize their records early on so most of the old stuff has to be done by hand from microfilm. Another source of information is places where the car was serviced. If you can find them they would have owner information and what was done on the car and when. Since the car was in Alabama it could have been to DMCH. Worth asking if they have any records on it. All of this can be very interesting but really doesn't mean much unless the car was once owned by a celebrity. You could also try contacting Shepard's but back then no one was computerized and most dealerships throw away old records. Good Luck.
    David Teitelbaum