FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with PPR assembly ID and o-ring. "pictures"

My VIN:    1597

Need help with PPR assembly ID and o-ring. "pictures"

Car has a history of hot start issues but after 2 back to back dist changes from John some 5 yrs ago, it appeared to be solved. Then this week it came back and now the car will not hold pressure for 30 seconds. This is using the old tap the fuel meter plate method.
    On earlier fuel dist I have replaced many a o-ring but apon opening this never open fuel dist from John, I not only do not recognize the assembly but the size of the o-ring vs the Vitons is confusing me. I do not recognize it and the rubber o-ring is HUGE compared to the #75 Viton 1.9x3.8. Not only do I not recognize it as being 1 of the 2 versions, but how the hell does the o-ring come off?
    The plunger swivels and retains the smaller spring but something needs to come off to replace the o-ring. Yes it's a hail mary as the o-ring other than appearing huge looks to be free of any defects but often for the Delorean it is worth a try.
    Any help appreciated.

EDIT----- After staring at pics I think this is a early ver and apon looking inside the dist I can see what I ASSUME is the front part with a 2nd -oring. I can pull on it slightly with a small jewlers screwdriver and it moves slightly but will not come out. Before I attempt to try again to retrieve it I will stop until I am dam sure what it is AND some ideas on how best to get it out.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 08-08-2018 at 07:57 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Dig deeper...the piston is still in there (with o-ring).
    PPRs.jpg

Hey Ron.....
    It's a longshot but a good 1st thing to check. Magnet didn't work and I did not like trying to drag it out but it is pretty snug.
    The car started to really jump up in temp just over 220 so I burped it via the t valve by the radiator. Then on a test drive to a DR only a short distance away, after sitting 30 minutes it did not want to start. Classic hotstart bs. Got home and burped it again and then something made me take the air cleaner off and check the fuel pressure.
    And here I am.... IIRC the accumulator was replaced 5 or so yrs ago. Probably only driven it a dozen times in the last 6 mo because of the heat.
    REALLY thinking hard about selling it and getting a Stingray. Maybe 3-5 yrs old.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Did you get it out??

I usually pull them out with a pen magnet. Sometimes I have to work it in and out a bit...

I have always had a issue with pulling out.
    Supposed to be 200 degrees again but if we have a good thunderstorm I might get that little sob out and HOPE that O ring is the issue.
    Always amazed me that something so small can cripple the entire car.
    BTW- If anyone in the future reads this and needs a Viton feel free to contact me. I have 50. Or the above picture is of the bag with the # and size you need.

My VIN:    03572

If the small O-ring on the "piston" is not viton, it will swell and make it very hard to get the piston out. As a last resort to remove it, you can probably prime with the fuel pump with the large assembly screwed back in the FD without the spring installed. I've not tried that method since I have always been able to pull it out with some small tool.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Always good to hear from you and once again thanks for your replies. It is very hot again even in the shade with a huge fan but I will attempt it again today. It sure would be nice if it was a damaged o-ring both causing the problem getting it out and the sudden loss in pressure and related hot start issues.

After some creative swearing I got it out but unfortunately the 0 ring in my eyes looks fine. Other than being more "pliable", next to new Vitons you cannot tell a difference.
    Notice the "wear" which to the eye resembles left over glue residue after removing a sticker. It appears to be very fine wear that cannot be felt by your finger but obviously appears to be from rubbing. BTW-The pictures it appears as rust be that is a result of the lighting. There is no rust color seen by the naked eye.

Not hopeful replacing the copper washer and the o-ring will solve anything but here goes...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 08-09-2018 at 01:46 PM.

My VIN:    03572

I would install your know good viton O-ring anyway. You never know what they installed with rebuild of the FD.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Just ran the car approx 10 miles at 60 mph and the temp gauge was right on 220. Not above or below which considering it is 94 is normal for this car.
    Anyways, just parked it left in the sun at 2:30 and getting ready to try and start it.

A unexpected 40+ minute call made me wait longer than I wanted but after 1 hr sitting in the sun the car started 1st turn. Motor had of course cooled from it's earlier run but seeing that it is 95 outside in direct sunlight that is prime condition for any hot start issue.
    The last 2x this issue happened earlier this summer on VERY hot 100 days sitting on blacktop a simple short blast of starter fluid did the trick. Of course the true test is to park in a distant parking lot just before rush hr or dark. THATS when you really find out if it is truly fixed. Bottom line is Deloreans hate summer.
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 08-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast