FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Help on O Ring....

My VIN:    3757

Help on O Ring....

Ok, I got a new AC compressor, and it did not come with O rings... So I went to the auto Parts store, and tried to match them....Found a Green set for a Chevy, looked like they would work...But Nope, it is leaking.... So Does anybody know a O Ring size that fits?

Craig

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    Ok, I got a new AC compressor, and it did not come with O rings... So I went to the auto Parts store, and tried to match them....Found a Green set for a Chevy, looked like they would work...But Nope, it is leaking.... So Does anybody know a O Ring size that fits?

Craig
    Any mixed sized set I've purchased from an auto parts store (AutoZone, Pep Boys, or O'Reilly) have all fit perfectly anywhere within the entire system. That stock connection on the back of the compressor (with the plate and single screw) is MUCH easier to get properly sealed when you have two people doing the job. One to get the hoses and plate to fit flush on the compressor and the other person to tighten the screw. For whatever reason, a lot of times just cranking down on the screw doesn't get a proper and flush fit.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Dipping them in the oil helps...

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi there,

Yes there are 2 proper o-rings for the GM pad fittings in this HNBR assortment, Santech MT 2547 , ($3.95 from AutoZone). It also has most of the rest of the O-rings for the A/C system on the car. You'll know which ones they are because they are the thickest/widest O-rings in the package.

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...e&newYmme=true

Here they are in place:

Here is a photo of the package with the other seal kit that I used on a compressor rebuild:

Plus, I agree with Ron. Soak them in your refrigerant oil for a while before you install them.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 08-11-2018 at 10:12 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10270

Or coat them in Nylog AC thread sealant:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HOSQQQ/

Neat stuff. I even used it to seal up a bunch of teensy vacuum leaks around the fasteners in my fuel meter housing.

For the two big O rings on the compressor I think I used Supercool SC568-211-5
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    3757

way cool guys, thanks for the info... I will get the set tomorrow, and soak them in the oil...

Craig

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    way cool guys, thanks for the info... I will get the set tomorrow, and soak them in the oil...

Craig
    No need to soak. Just coat them and cleanly install. The o-ring material doesn't absorb refrigerant oil.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com