FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interior LED Kit Installed But Dome Light Won't Turn Off With Doors Closed

Interior LED Kit Installed But Dome Light Won't Turn Off With Doors Closed

As titled, I installed the interior LED kit from DMC this morning, which replaced all six (6) door bulbs, one (1) trunk compartment bulb, and two (2) interior dome/parcel shelf bulbs. The latter two (2) will not turn off now, even with the doors shut. I read somewhere there is a dome dimmer that either needs to be replaced with an LED compatible one or be disconnected. Where do I find an LED compatible dome light dimmer, and/or how do I disable the current one? I apologize for my ignorance.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

You need to remove the dimmer relay completely(just unplug it). The lights will shut off when the doors close but not gradually. Dave M. sells a dimmer designed for led bulb conversions.

Thank you! That's what I figured. I took the parcel carpet out and the netting, but I am having a hell of a time getting the wood cover off behind the passenger seat to even access the fuses/relays. Is there a trick I am missing? I am afraid 'm going to break something.

I got everything out after some trial and error and removed the dimmer relay, and the dome lights go on and off as they should now. Thank you! Here is what my fuse box looks like. #9 fuse was melted and looking through previous owner records, the DMC Relay Update Kit, including updated Lambda Relay were all installed by DMC MW in July of 2016. They also jumped out the aforementioned melted #9 fuse. I checked my power mirrors and rear defrost, which is what #9 fuse is supposed to control. I cannot tell if rear window defrost works, but my driver's side power mirror works fine, while the passenger side will move up and down but not side to side. Additionally, there is also something unplugged in the fuse box; white plug with red, white, and blue wires connected to it (pictured). I have no idea what this is or where it goes, and I apologize for being such a rookie, but I am trying to do little things to improve the car, while the more difficult things I go to DMC MW for or another shop by my house. I did manage to change the oil and filter myself without an issue, so there's that. I also plan to do the exterior LED kit with new taillight circuit boards next
    Attached Images

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    I got everything out after some trial and error and removed the dimmer relay, and the dome lights go on and off as they should now. Thank you! Here is what my fuse box looks like. #9 fuse was melted and looking through previous owner records, the DMC Relay Update Kit, including updated Lambda Relay were all installed by DMC MW in July of 2016. They also jumped out the aforementioned melted #9 fuse. I checked my power mirrors and rear defrost, which is what #9 fuse is supposed to control. I cannot tell if rear window defrost works, but my driver's side power mirror works fine, while the passenger side will move up and down but not side to side. Additionally, there is also something unplugged in the fuse box; white plug with red, white, and blue wires connected to it (pictured). I have no idea what this is or where it goes, and I apologize for being such a rookie, but I am trying to do little things to improve the car, while the more difficult things I go to DMC MW for or another shop by my house. I did manage to change the oil and filter myself without an issue, so there's that. I also plan to do the exterior LED kit with new taillight circuit boards next
    The Plug towards the rear of the relay compartment isn't plugged into anything. Thats the way it's suppose to be.

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    The Plug towards the rear of the relay compartment isn't plugged into anything. Thats the way it's suppose to be.
    Thank you. I can now put everything back. It looks like DMC MW bypassed the melted #9 fuse and rewired it in. Probably something wrong with my passenger power mirror motor since the mirror will only go up and down and not side to side. Driver's side works fine, so I know my #9 fuse is functional.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Actually you can plug David McKeens Hot Start Relay into that plug and unplug the thermotime switch. I have it like this on 11035
    Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

David McKeen has led compatible relays to make the dome lights dim. Make sure you know which led's you have.

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

https://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Here is his site! I have most of everything he has! Never an issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    David McKeen has led compatible relays to make the dome lights dim. Make sure you know which led's you have.

Thank you. These are the Interior LED Kit sold through DMC. Exterior LED Kit from DMC is next for me. Now what to do about the headlights... I want stock looking housings, but it would be cool to have them be LED as well. I LOVE whatever you have on your car.
    Last edited by Hill Valley PD; 08-14-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast