FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: WOT switch not being engaged

My VIN:    4626

WOT switch not being engaged

I was doing some work on my idle and noticed that when I floor the car, the throttle spindle is turning just to the point that it is going to hit the WOT switch but it never actually engages the switch. It stops just before the metal flap. There is no way for the spindle to go any farther. Is there an adjustment that I am not seeing for the switch?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Make sure nothing is interfering with the gas pedal like a floor mat, the carpet, etc.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Make sure nothing is interfering with the gas pedal like a floor mat, the carpet, etc.
    Thanks David, The tab on the bottom of the spindle is hitting the spring stop before the upper tab for the switch reaches the metal flap. It is going the full spin, just still not hitting the flap.
    Last edited by cdmcali; 08-13-2018 at 02:35 PM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Is something bent? Post a photo of what you're dealing with and perhaps someone can identify an issue you're missing.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by cdmcali View Post
    I was doing some work on my idle and noticed that when I floor the car, the throttle spindle is turning just to the point that it is going to hit the WOT switch but it never actually engages the switch. It stops just before the metal flap. There is no way for the spindle to go any farther. Is there an adjustment that I am not seeing for the switch?
    There is a small bit of adjustment in the mounting of the WOT microswitches themselves.

See this small, oval shaped securing plate: http://store.delorean.com/p-6651-securing-plate.aspx

There are two small screws that go down through two small holes in the microswitch and secure it to the "bobbin" or better seen on the entire throttle spool assembly. Those two screws thread into this securing plate and hold the microswitch(es) in place.

The aspect that gives you a small bit of adjustment, is that the holes in the bobbin/bracket portion are not round. One (or maybe both, I can't remember) are more oval, and the purpose is so you can slide that securing plate with the microswitch on it around a little to get it where you want it.

So, in your case, loosen a little bit both of those screws, but don't remove them entirely (or do remove them entirely if you want to see better what you're working with underneath). Then pivot the microswitch around enough so that when you rotate the throttle spool (with your hand while the engine is off), it presses on the microswitch just right. Tighten those little screws back up, but a word of warning, don't tighten them too crazy hard as those microswitches tend to get seized up from that added screw pressure and the little spring loaded stem won't pop back out when it is supposed to if that happens.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There is a small bit of adjustment in the mounting of the WOT microswitches themselves.

See this small, oval shaped securing plate: http://store.delorean.com/p-6651-securing-plate.aspx

There are two small screws that go down through two small holes in the microswitch and secure it to the "bobbin" or better seen on the entire throttle spool assembly. Those two screws thread into this securing plate and hold the microswitch(es) in place.

The aspect that gives you a small bit of adjustment, is that the holes in the bobbin/bracket portion are not round. One (or maybe both, I can't remember) are more oval, and the purpose is so you can slide that securing plate with the microswitch on it around a little to get it where you want it.

So, in your case, loosen a little bit both of those screws, but don't remove them entirely (or do remove them entirely if you want to see better what you're working with underneath). Then pivot the microswitch around enough so that when you rotate the throttle spool (with your hand while the engine is off), it presses on the microswitch just right. Tighten those little screws back up, but a word of warning, don't tighten them too crazy hard as those microswitches tend to get seized up from that added screw pressure and the little spring loaded stem won't pop back out when it is supposed to if that happens.

Thanks so much. I guess I assummed that it was just going through some holes in the bottom and it did not have a channel or something. I will fiddle with it.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It's really common for the gas pedal arm to be bent (sometimes from a frozen cable, hence the ice shield recall kit). When this happens the pedal hits the floor before making full designed travel.

Before you get all radical, just grab the pedal and bend it back upwards a bit. Check the cable throw again. Repeat as necessary. If a
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC