FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom alternator adjuster/turnbuckle

My VIN:    11789

Custom alternator adjuster/turnbuckle

I helped this guy in the UK - a real petrol head develop a "Turnbuckle" adjuster for the Delorean.

Restoring #11789 and having the alternator belt on and off many times - fitting exhausts, sensors , wiring ...I got frustrated at trying to tension the alternator then tighten everything up. As I say - done it loads of times.

This bracket makes replacement/tensioning an absolute dream.
    I've removed the original bracket , bagged it and will keep it - so please if there are any DeLorean owners who frown on this, the car can easily be returned to stock.

There are some great aftermarket alternator brackets out there already - this one deserves a mention.

Phil is on E bay and facebook . If you were to price up the components & factor in overheads and it's a fair price.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

Seems like a good product, but I have not been able to get in touch with him. Also, you have to drill out the 7mm hole in the stock engine to 8 mm, which seems drastic.

Wouldn't a generic turnbuckle style adjuster, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADJUSTABLE-...53.m1438.l2649

work just as well? Not sure if I have seen them in metric, but maybe a 1/4 " hole in the turnbuckle would closely accommodate 7 mm. Anyone have a metric source?

steve
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Seems like a good product, but I have not been able to get in touch with him.

Wouldn't a generic turnbuckle style adjuster, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADJUSTABLE-...53.m1438.l2649

work just as well? Anyone have a metric source?

steve
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

I just had correspondence with the eBay guy. He uses 3/8' bolts for American cars, which is just a little larger than 8 mm, so the 8 mm will fit in the holes fine. If one has the 7 mm bolts (which I guess some people do) there will be a little more space around the bolt, which may be less than optimal.

BTW, can someone measure the distance between the two bolt-on points for me?. I need to be sure that the turnbuckle fits with room to adjust larger or smaller.

steve
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

My VIN:    04629

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    I just had correspondence with the eBay guy. He uses 3/8' bolts for American cars, which is just a little larger than 8 mm, so the 8 mm will fit in the holes fine. If one has the 7 mm bolts (which I guess some people do) there will be a little more space around the bolt, which may be less than optimal.

BTW, can someone measure the distance between the two bolt-on points for me?. I need to be sure that the turnbuckle fits with room to adjust larger or smaller.

steve
    You know us DMC-12 guys always willing to help. I have the turnbuckle adjustment on my car, the measurements between the mounting bolts is ~ 4-1/2", see photo....

20190524_150800.jpg

This is with the OEM size alternator belt.
    Last edited by ritztoys; 05-24-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additional info

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

No drilling or mods required. I have had one of these for years.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainl...r-bracket.html

Thank you. I am stuck on vacation and ordering some parts, so that was nice of you to make that measurement. Ritztoys, where did you get yours?

steve
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No drilling or mods required. I have had one of these for years.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainl...r-bracket.html
    Thats from drive stainless on this forum. There are some changes I'd like to see made to it, but otherwise WAY better than the crap on the car. I dont know if they've changed, but the bend isn't the same offset as stock, so you'll need to adjust your washers to line up properly. I ended up using a much shorter bolt in mine because I was worried that the longer one it comes with would somehow touch the belt and rip it apart. If the threaded part was welded to the sliding piece, you could put a nut where the head of the bolt is. That way tightening it would be pushing the threads away from the belt. I made a rough sketch on Photoshop. I still recommend it as is, but changing the bend to match stock and switching the direction of the threads would make it top notch. The turnbuckle seems overengineered to me.

alttension.jpg

My VIN:    04629

Alternator Turnbuckle

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    Thank you. I am stuck on vacation and ordering some parts, so that was nice of you to make that measurement. Ritztoys, where did you get yours?

steve
    You're welcome.....I purchased my individual parts from McMaster Car and built/put together, from a post on the forums here.(can't remember which one)

My VIN:    16409

Here's an article on DeLorean Directory:

https://www.deloreandirectory.com/ma...tor-tensioner/

All the pieces you need to make one are listed.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast