FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - manual trans $30-35k

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Wanted - manual trans $30-35k

Hi, all:

I live outside of Philadelphia. I've done my research, read the buyer's guide and feel like I'm ready to purchase. I'm looking for something that I can drive, so I don't care about super low miles or concours perfection. In fact, I'd prefer some tasteful upgrades. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm relatively handy to handle minor issues. I've also found a local mechanic who has owned a few and knows his way around these cars.

My perfect car would be:
    Manual trans
    Rust free frame
    Starts, runs, drives, stops
    Clean gray interior
    Eibach spring/shock setup
    Stage 2

This would be a "perfect" wish list, and I acknowledge it would be a tall order to find everything at my price point of $30-$35k

I haven't been able to find anything local. I don't want to buy sight unseen, but I would be willing to fly out to see a good candidate. I should probably sign up with the Mid-Atlantic Club as well, but thought I'd post here first. Also, do prices go down in the winter months or do they stay pretty firm?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by Boxbot; 08-22-2018 at 11:30 PM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

PM sent.
    Might know somebody with one that meets some of your criteria.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks, Rich!

Is anyone in the LA area willing/able to take a look at this car?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...678489318.html

Edit: Nevermind. I think it's a bogus listing. Here's the same car listed in Buffalo.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d...659852928.html
    Last edited by Boxbot; 08-23-2018 at 11:37 PM.

My VIN:    16355

Definately a fake, scam ad. Was sold by Moto Exotica sometime ago. Price seems to have risen in the past month on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxbot View Post
    Thanks, Rich!

Is anyone in the LA area willing/able to take a look at this car?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...678489318.html

Edit: Nevermind. I think it's a bogus listing. Here's the same car listed in Buffalo.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d...659852928.html

Well, sure. You want to maximize your return on investment, particularly where you have nothing and couldn't be bothered to blur out the dealership's license plate.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

IMHO you would be hard pressed to find a nicer car at that price point than the next one down in the sub-forum

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...-950-miles-33K

Depends on how hard the desire is for an MT over a AT (with Stage II)
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

I concur with the Stage II automatic listed here. I spoke to the owner Mark way back when he first listed this car before I changed gears and went for a manual (see what I did there). If I recall, he sent me a 25K invoice from DMC when the Stage 2 and everything else went into it. It is definitely a nice car. Back then the price was 40K, and I was considering it. At 33K, it'd be a no brainer if you can live with the automatic. I was a little concerned about the slight visible rust in the roof box on driver's side (in photos) but was told by DMC MW they've only ever had to replace one roof box, and the car already a complete basket case, which is not this car. They said roof box rust is generally an overblown issue. According to DMC MW, upgrades like the Eibach suspension set up and Stage 1 or 2 usually recoup about 50% at resale. Out the door, those two upgrades are over 9K installed, so a Stage 2 car with the Eibach system should sell for about $5,000 more than an equivalent stock car. Thus, if this car were stock, you're looking at 28K or so sale price, which is cheap given how nice it is and for what they have been selling for lately.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...orean-for-Sale

Another car I considered when I was still looking for autos. This one sold for 40K and is not Stage II. I guess my advice is if you've never driven a manual DeLorean, you probably won't miss it. I have never driven the automatic or a Stage II. I guess if you are dead set on a manual, go for one no matter how great of a deal this automatic one is, and it is. You have to be content with your choice, or you'll regret it and eventually want to switch cars. I've done that before a couple of time. Back in early 2011, I bought a 2010 Challenger R/T Classic but really deep down wanted the SRT. A few months later, the R/T was gone and the SRT was in the garage. The good news is that switching out classic cars is not like switching out new cars in terms of depreciation...

Agreed that car appears to be a great value with the stage II and suspension and doesn't need much - although the trans fluid leak will likely be a pricey repair. But I just plain old don't want an auto.

My VIN:    16602

I have an 83 Manual for sale, shoot me an email if still looking... [email protected]
    Lance

Stable ;-):
    1983 DeLo
    2006 GTO
    1966 GTO Convertible
    1968 Buick GS 400
    2008 Checkmate ZT230BR
    2005 Honda CRF450X

Quote Originally Posted by HUMBL3R View Post
    I have an 83 Manual for sale, shoot me an email if still looking... [email protected]
    I am still looking. Email sent. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast