FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another warm start issue

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Another warm start issue

Quick question. Upon a warm start the engine runs a little off for a few seconds. It's not quite a dead cylinder but it's definately missing, backfiring, low on power when pulling out but just for a few seconds, then she is fine.
    I was thinking maybe the begining of an injector getting clogged or a poor spray pattern?

This just started tonight so I don't know if it's the same issue on a cold engine.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Could be an injector, a spark plug, or ignition wire. When was the last time the car was tuned up? You could try running a bottle of Techron through the fuel system.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Could be an injector, a spark plug, or ignition wire. When was the last time the car was tuned up? You could try running a bottle of Techron through the fuel system.
    Wires plugs and cap and rotor were changed last year which doesn't mean they are bulletproof but I wouldn't look at them first either. I may go the techron/seafoam route first.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

At least check that none of the spark plug wells has any water in it and all of the ignition wire's boots seal the top of each well. Water in a spark plug well can cause a misfire.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    At least check that none of the spark plug wells has any water in it and all of the ignition wire's boots seal the top of each well. Water in a spark plug well can cause a misfire.
    Just went out and started it again and drove it up the road. Same thing. By the time I got 100' from the house it was fine. It's odd that the issue is there even after running fine just 30 minutes earlier.
    No way water in the wells. It hasn't seen a drop of water in months. I will reseat the boots tomorrow after it cools down.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Maybe it's clearing out a cylinder with a (newly) leaking injector??

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Maybe it's clearing out a cylinder with a (newly) leaking injector??
    You know that has crossed my mind. I think it's possible that I have one injector leaking down. Yesterday it would not start until I cranked for liked 10 seconds, then when it did start there was a lot of smoke from the tail pipe for a few seconds while it idled. I attributed that to it not being started in a few weeks. This morning I decided to prime it 3 or 4 times before cranking and it fired right up but it struggled to idle while it cleared it's throat.

How can I test the injectors to see it this is a correct diagnosis? I would think I could just pull them in and place them in glass jars overnight but if I have one leaking down that fast I doubt I would get it out in time before it loses rest pressure. Is there a way to "charge" the injectors after they have been removed? Could I just crank the engine, let them spray into the jars then empty the jars and let it sit overnight like that?
    Last edited by Michael; 08-24-2018 at 07:25 AM.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You know that has crossed my mind. I think it's possible that I have one injector leaking down. Yesterday it would not start until I cranked for liked 10 seconds, then when it did start there was a lot of smoke from the tail pipe for a few seconds while it idled. I attributed that to it not being started in a few weeks. This morning I decided to prime it 3 or 4 times before cranking and it fired right up but it struggled to idle while it cleared it's throat.

How can I test the injectors to see it this is a correct diagnosis? I would think I could just pull them in and place them in glass jars overnight but if I have one leaking down that fast I doubt I would get it out in time before it loses rest pressure. Is there a way to "charge" the injectors after they have been removed? Could I just crank the engine, let them spray into the jars then empty the jars and let it sit overnight like that?
    Pull the injectors and put in jar. Then jump the fuel pump via RPM relay and press the air plate down. That will fill all the injectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Pull the injectors and put in jar. Then jump the fuel pump via RPM relay and press the air plate down. That will fill all the injectors.
    Thanks!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

With what sounds like a very small leak, you might want to get it hot (to match conditions) then pull the injectors as fast as you can and hopefully catch it leaking or signs of it (w/o pressing the plate). If no luck, then put them in a jar and see what they do when you jump the relay, then after bumping the plate.

If it is an injector leak, you might catch the rest pressure falling...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast