FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Emissions fail - high hydrocarbons in exhaust

My VIN:    10907

Went to the shop just now and tested the otterstat, fans came on with the wire jumped so hopefully that's one problem solved. Not sure when it went bad, though. It was fine on my road trip in June. I assume it's been working since then but I don't sit in traffic much to notice.

Really hoping it wasn't out while they were idling the car for the emissions test. Would overheating account for these results?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    ....Really hoping it wasn't out while they were idling the car for the emissions test. Would overheating account for these results?
    I can't answer that question for sure except to say that high coolant/engine temp. isn't listed among these (LINK) 6 causes of high HC emissions readings.

In reviewing that list:
    - #1 is unlikely unless somebody fiddled with the timing since it passed the last smog test
    - #5 doesn't apply - these cars don't have an air injection system

That leaves 4 others on the list, in no particular order - bad cat, poor ignition, lean fuel/air ratio, and (uggghhh) low compression.

The links on that webpage show some causes of high CO and high NOx if you go there. If you got either of those tested then depending on pass/fail for each of them maybe those links tell you something useful regarding causes that are also on the high-HC link.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    No. 4068

I'm trying the test with the sensor unplugged, seems like it idles a little choppy but the valve is buzzing. How hot does it need to get? Up to the unmarked white line?

Does the frequency valve still buzz with the sensor plugged in and the engine warm? (Temp gauge between the 2 white lines)
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

We replaced the otterstat today (the mechanic did most of the work while I held the flashlight). The old one didn't want to come out and the new one leaked bad enough that he ended up putting permatex around the edge where the seal goes. Has this happened to anybody else?

Had to wait for the sealant to set so I didn't get to do much else with it. The old one had a fair amount of reddish crud on it which might have been why it wasn't working as expected. Hoping that was just leftover from my previous block rot woes and not a sign that the creeping crud is back.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Have you hugged the car? DeLoreans are quite needy and respond well to hugs.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Have you hugged the car? DeLoreans are quite needy and respond well to hugs.
    At this point I'd cheerfully make out with it, if it would get it back on the road any faster...

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

We replaced the otterstat today (the mechanic did most of the work while I held the flashlight). The old one didn't want to come out and the new one leaked bad enough that he ended up putting permatex around the edge where the seal goes. Has this happened to anybody else?

Had to wait for the sealant to set so I didn't get to do much else with it. The old one had a fair amount of reddish crud on it which might have been why it wasn't working as expected. Hoping that was just leftover from my previous block rot woes and not a sign that the creeping crud is back.
    Never had that issue, It is a pretty tight fit though. I see Delorean Go sells a thread in version of the otter stat and pipe. pretty interesting way to go if you continue t have issues. Sounds like you may have corrosion where the otterstat seats.

Make a mental note that when you drain the coolant next time, to remove that pipe and clean it up good to smooth out the Otterstat seating area. Just my .02

I didn't have time to go visit it today but the mechanic tells me he finally got the leak to stop and the fans are coming in as they should be. So now we're back to the original problem. He's supposed to change the O2 sensor tomorrow and retest it.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

I didn't have time to go visit it today but the mechanic tells me he finally got the leak to stop and the fans are coming in as they should be. So now we're back to the original problem. He's supposed to change the O2 sensor tomorrow and retest it.
    thats good, its a step in the right direction!

I went by the shop today to check the FV with the o2 sensor connected. It buzzed all the way up to 220, at which point I shut it off b/c the fans still weren't coming on. So did I just waste a week and trash a perfectly good otterstat for nothing? What else could be causing this?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast