FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Emissions fail - high hydrocarbons in exhaust

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    The sensor was in the pipe but the connector was unplugged. I was trying to do the test Nick suggested to see if the frequency valve buzzed when the engine was hot and rule out an electrical issue.

Engine bay hoses were hot, otterstadt is pointed down & connections seemed ok.
    Ok, To test the fans 1. jump the Otterstat wires and the fans should kick on, or 2. set the mode switch to A/C then turn the ignition switch to the run position and listen for the fans to kick on.

Do you have Daves Fan relays??

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Ok, To test the fans 1. jump the Otterstat wires and the fans should kick on, or 2. set the mode switch to A/C then turn the ignition switch to the run position and listen for the fans to kick on.

Do you have Daves Fan relays??
    They come on if I turn the a/c on. I don't think it's Dave's relay but it's a fused one.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I always get 91+, too.
    If your engine is stock, it should be running 87.
    The capacities chart in the Owner's Manual says "91 octane", but on the next page says:

Fuel Requirements
    U.S.A.
    Your De Lorean is designed to operate at
    factory specifications at UNLEADED
    GASOLINE only of at least 87 anti-knock
    index (R+M/2) (91 research octane number).

In the US, 91 (R+M/2) is not the same as 91 (RON). Our 91 is mainly for high compression engines. It's harder to ignite and burns longer. What does not burn can collect in the combustion chamber or flow out with the exhaust, raising emissions. This or setting it up with 87, as it should be, then changing to 91 can contribute to/cause a failed smog test. However, many report using 91 w/o problems and even passing the tests...
    It's probably not THE problem, but it sure does't help!

91 is a waste of money and not what the D's system is designed for/expects...

fwiw:
    Go on a cool/humid day.
    If you use cleaning additives, run it until the tank is nearly empty, then run at least a tank full of fuel only through it before your appointment.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

In my experience the engine runs just fine on 87. Using higher octane seems to improve the mileage slightly and if you are borderline on passing it can help with the emissions BUT. For the difference in price it isn't worth it. If you have problems using 87 octane better to fix the problem than trying to avoid it by using higher octane fuel. For those with turbos, they should be using the highest octane they can get. As for lead, in most States you can't get gasoline with lead anymore. Aviation fuel still contains lead but not as much as it used to. It's called 100LL and it is EXPENSIVE! Then there is racing gas. Meant for off -road use only so if you get caught with it in your car there could be severe fines. Bottom line, if you are stock you can and should use 87.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

They come on if I turn the a/c on. I don't think it's Dave's relay but it's a fused one.
    Fused jumper wire?

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Fused jumper wire?
    No, AFAIK it's a legit relay, it has the yellow wires with the fuses in them. I think it's this one? http://store.delorean.com/p-10219-relay-update-kit.aspx

The seller said he installed an updated relay kit so it was probably that same one.

No, AFAIK it's a legit relay, it has the yellow wires with the fuses in them. I think it's this one? http://store.delorean.com/p-10219-relay-update-kit.aspx

The seller said he installed an updated relay kit so it was probably that same one.
    Ok Thats the Jumper wire with fuses. Check out Daves relays, They are awesome. Theres a fan fail that if one of the fuses blow, the fan fail light will come on on the dash. With the jumper wire like you have, the fuse can blow and you will never know you have a problem.
    Dave also has a Fan relay that starts the fans one at a time (this is the relay next to the jumper wire) eliminates the big load on the charging system when the fans kick on. it also keeps the fans running longer so they don't cycle with the A/C compressor I highly recommend these and his RPM relay. https://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    No. 4068

I think I found mine. Is this part supposed to unplug?Attachment 57920
    Yes
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The sensor was in the pipe but the connector was unplugged. I was trying to do the test Nick suggested to see if the frequency valve buzzed when the engine was hot and rule out an electrical issue.

Engine bay hoses were hot, otterstadt is pointed down & connections seemed ok.
    Probably a good idea to resolve this first... You can turn the key on then jump the Otterstat wires in place, or plug them together, in case you didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Probably a good idea to resolve this first... You can turn the key on then jump the Otterstat wires in place, or plug them together, in case you didn't know.
    Yeah, I called the mechanic today and told him to do it but if he hasn't by tomorrow I'll go over there and try it myself.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast