FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Emissions fail - high hydrocarbons in exhaust

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Also, IDK if this is relevant to my original problem, but while I was poking around in the fusebox after the last idle test, I noticed my lambda relay was really hot, like too hot to touch. Is that normal?
    Yes the lambda relay normally runs very hot. You can put in a standard relay if you rewire that center pin.

Remove the center pin with the red/purple wire.
    Cut the pin off and connect that red/purple wire to the green/yellow wire on the other pin in that socket.
    If you use my solid state relay, it would be the same as my blower relay.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes the lambda relay normally runs very hot. You can put in a standard relay if you rewire that center pin.

Remove the center pin with the red/purple wire.
    Cut the pin off and connect that red/purple wire to the green/yellow wire on the other pin in that socket.
    If you use my solid state relay, it would be the same as my blower relay.
    I wasn't aware there was a solid-state replacement for the lambda relay. It is plug and play, or are these 2 wiring changes needed in addition?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    I wasn't aware there was a solid-state replacement for the lambda relay. It is plug and play, or are these 2 wiring changes needed in addition?
    You would need to make that wiring change to use a standard relay or my relay.

I also use my relays for replacing the AUX relays but had to put new pins on the wires since the OEM relays used larger pins.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I loosened the radiator hose first (the small one on the upper right where it attaches to the radiator), and that seemed to lose the most air, there were several seconds where I could hear it hissing out before it started squirting out antifreeze.
    Nice that you got some air out of the front end.

This next question will sound picky but it's important to know.

You report that when you pulled the small upper hose there was hissing and then you got coolant.....from where was the coolant flowing?

From only the nipple on the radiator or from only the end of the hose? Or from both?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Nice that you got some air out of the front end.

This next question will sound picky but it's important to know.

You report that when you pulled the small upper hose there was hissing and then you got coolant.....from where was the coolant flowing?

From only the nipple on the radiator or from only the end of the hose? Or from both?
    I never actually got the hose all the way off but when I jiggled it, first air came out and then coolant started squirting out and when I tried to push the hose further back on, more coolant ran out. Did I do it wrong?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I never actually got the hose all the way off but when I jiggled it, first air came out and then coolant started squirting out and when I tried to push the hose further back on, more coolant ran out. Did I do it wrong?
    Hard to say. A first guess is you got it filled. I think you said you did it with the system pressurized. In that case there would be lots of flow but perhaps it was too exciting to see what came out of where....

When I bleed the radiator I don't pressurize the system. I do pop the pressure cap off of the header tank.

I can pop the hose off its nipple and then hold it closed with my thumb over the end after I see coolant coming out of the hose. Then I wait for the radiator purge to its air thru the nipple. As soon as I see coolant coming from the nipple I put the hose back on. Bled for sure.

It's a fast job in case you feel like trying again....you can do it cold, no pressure tester, at least not for that end of the car.
    Last edited by Rich; 09-19-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Is there a trick to getting the hose all the way off? I was having a hard time with it and was afraid of breaking something. (Not original radiator but a DMCH one.)
    Last edited by DaraSue; 09-19-2018 at 11:19 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You don't take the little hose off. You just loosen it enough to let the air out. it doens't matter where the air comes from, just get it out. What little may be left will eventually work it's way out. If the temp gauge indicates the motor is getting too hot, confirm with an infra red temp gauge. If it is too hot either the thermostat is not opening at the right temperature, the "O" switch is bad or you still have air in the system (or a combination of these causes).
    David Teitelbaum

Perhaps you've already checked it, but you could have a bad diode. Its not difficult to jumper the otterstat and make sure the fans come on. Hate to see you go to all the trouble of burping the coolant then find out it's an electrical issue between the otterstat and the cooling fan relay.

Ron

Fans come on with the otterstat wires jumped, or they did last time I checked. I've checked the temp with an IR thermometer and the pipe by the otterstat is getting hot enough that it should be tripping. Dave S @ MW thinks it's possible the new otterstat may have failed so I'll try replacing it again. I ordered one of the new style ones with the screw-in otterstat from DeLorean Go just in case.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast