FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Emissions fail - high hydrocarbons in exhaust

My VIN:    10907

A probably-insignificant but still unexpected plot development - I wanted to put it back together enough to flush it so I scraped out the pipe with a battery terminal brush and stuck the otterstat back in, then pumped the pressure tester to 10 and it didn't leak this time. I didn't think the lumpiness I was feeling inside the pipe opening last time was really going to come off and there was another nick in the pipe that I hadn't noticed before so IDK why it was leaking like a sieve and took 2 applications of sealant to stop it last time. I'll run it tomorrow and see if the fans come on now if it holds overnight.

20180930_200035.jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You CANNOT use ANY sealant on that red seal for the "O" switch. It will cause the silicone seal to split.
    David Teitelbaum

I actually cleaned all the sealant off before I put it back in. It still wasn't working, though. I'll probably just wait to drain and flush it until the driving season is over. It performs normally temperature-wise under daily-driving conditions and I decided not to chance it driving to Vegas this week.

Back to the original problem, in a roundabout sort of way...

I got the Harbor Freight dwell meter and with the red lead connected to the orange wire in the blue church connector and the black wire grounded, it reads 54 with the RPM plug jumped. It does this even with the WOT switch unplugged. Dave S. said there's a temperature sensor in the engine that can cause this if it has a short in its wire. I'm guessing it's one of the ones under the intake?

Has this happened to anybody else before?

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Yes it is. And I'm telling you, you need to hug that car! Cars like hugs! I did my entire LS swap via hugs.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Yes it is. And I'm telling you, you need to hug that car! Cars like hugs! I did my entire LS swap via hugs.
    +1
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    No. 4068

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Back to the original problem, in a roundabout sort of way...

I got the Harbor Freight dwell meter and with the red lead connected to the orange wire in the blue church connector and the black wire grounded, it reads 54 with the RPM plug jumped. It does this even with the WOT switch unplugged. Dave S. said there's a temperature sensor in the engine that can cause this if it has a short in its wire. I'm guessing it's one of the ones under the intake?

Has this happened to anybody else before?
    It will read 54 intil the coolant temperature reaches 80c. The lambda switch (temp switch) ilocated on tje V casting under the inlet manifold is ON until the temperature is above 80c, then the switch will go OFF. This lambda switch is wired in parallel with the full load wide open thrortle (WOT) switch, so if the WOT switch is unplugged yet the engine is not hot enough, you'll get 54.

Once the engine coolant temp is above 80c then week the fuel comport use the oxygen sensor as the reference signal and adjust the dwell accordingly to the current fuel mixture
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by NckT View Post
    It will read 54 intil the coolant temperature reaches 80c. The lambda switch (temp switch) ilocated on tje V casting under the inlet manifold is ON until the temperature is above 80c, then the switch will go OFF. This lambda switch is wired in parallel with the full load wide open thrortle (WOT) switch, so if the WOT switch is unplugged yet the engine is not hot enough, you'll get 54.

Once the engine coolant temp is above 80c then week the fuel comport use the oxygen sensor as the reference signal and adjust the dwell accordingly to the current fuel mixture
    I don't think 80 C is a correct value. I hardly ever see 54 deg (60%) duty only in sub freezing weather.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Just tried adjusting and had to turn it clockwise to get it down into the 45-55 range. Do I need to compensate in some way for it reading high cold?

(I know it's supposed to be a last resort to mess with the mixture screw but the mechanic was messing with it when it was in the shop and he said he had it almost full lean at one point. It does seem less shaky after I adjusted it.)

Also I replaced the otterstat again and now my fans work, yay.

What's considered "high altitude"? My car was originally sold in TX and I'm at about 4500 ft here. AFAIK the high altitude adjustment prescribed in the service manual was never done when I brought it here.

(I gave it a hug, too. I'd post the proof but my webcam makes me look like some kind of demonic hellbeast.)
    Last edited by DaraSue; 10-03-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I wouldn't check the reading or change the mixture until the car has warmed up.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast