FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Emissions fail - high hydrocarbons in exhaust

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Fans come on with the otterstat wires jumped, or they did last time I checked. I've checked the temp with an IR thermometer and the pipe by the otterstat is getting hot enough that it should be tripping. Dave S @ MW thinks it's possible the new otterstat may have failed so I'll try replacing it again. I ordered one of the new style ones with the screw-in otterstat from DeLorean Go just in case.
    You'll also need the new "screw in pipe" for that screw-in Ostat to work. Hopefully, you ordered one of those as well.

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    You'll also need the new "screw in pipe" for that screw-in Ostat to work. Hopefully, you ordered one of those as well.
    Yep! I got the expedited shipping so hopefully I get it by my day off next week. I had issues with the current one leaking when we changed it so I figured if all else fails I'll just change the whole pipe.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Yep! I got the expedited shipping so hopefully I get it by my day off next week. I had issues with the current one leaking when we changed it so I figured if all else fails I'll just change the whole pipe.
    It comes together if you order the pipe.

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Still smogging?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    You still need to smog your car!!!!! I thought only us Californians were subject to totalitarian smog laws! Being at DCS this month, everybody from the Midwest was shocked that DeLoreans were still emissions tested.
    Nevada is just like CA. Still tests cars all the way back to 1967! Just stupid and a waste of money. Makes political jobs and appoints.
    It does nothing to improve air quality. This was proven in EPA research years ago. The impact of emission testing programs was less the 1% improvement. So a number of states ended testing for older cars. But still have the political
    benefits from OBD II.

It is another case of people IGNORING the SCIENTIFIC FACTS for political gain and power. Gee, just like ignoring the science of Climate Change.

Bob

My VIN:    10353

Just picked up my car here in San Diego for its SMOG today. Passed, whew.

The mechanic was able to make a few adjustments to get it tuned just right. I did give up on trying to get my O2 sensor out and had him do it since he had a lift. Ended up having to get the bung rewelded since it broke getting the old one out. But the car almost feels like it has more power now with the new sensor!

Hopefully in two years CA will get rid of the testing requirements for our cars, ya right....

Well, I think I figured put why the new otterstat crapped out...20180929_113630.jpg

The pipe wasn't looking too great. 20180929_122744.jpg It doesn't really show in this pic but there was some deformation inside the opening so I'm thinking that's where it was leaking when we replaced it.

What are the chances that this rust is localized to just this pipe? Probably time for another coolant flush?

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Well, I think I figured put why the new otterstat crapped out...20180929_113630.jpg

The pipe wasn't looking too great. 20180929_122744.jpg It doesn't really show in this pic but there was some deformation inside the opening so I'm thinking that's where it was leaking when we replaced it.

What are the chances that this rust is localized to just this pipe? Probably time for another coolant flush?
    I would flush the system good. The pipe is aluminum so it shouldn't rust.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The aluminum pipes don't rust but they do develop pinholes. If you see that kind of gunk inside you have to figure it is all over the system. Flush each component separately. They sell stuff you can run in the system to break down the gunk and then flush you it out. The best way to flush is to use the cleaner and then do each thing by itself (the rad, the motor, the heater) backflush (reverse the flow). Changing the direction helps to get all of the gunk out. Best to temporally remove the thermostat so it doesn't get plugged up by all of the junk. If the gunk is like a jelly it is very old anti-freeze that was never flushed.
    David Teitelbaum

I've heard some people run a tab of dish detergent through their coolant system before flushing, has anybody tried this? What kind of detergent?

I've heard some people run a tab of dish detergent through their coolant system before flushing, has anybody tried this? What kind of detergent?
    You can run Cascade dishwasher gel, NOT DISH DETERGENT, through it. It will clean a lot better than Prestone Cooling System flush. Use only 2 oz., go drive for an hour and then drain as soon as its cool enough.

Where I feel it beats the cooling system flush is it seems to do a great job suspending all of the trash within the liquid. So don’t delay draining it because you want to reduce the possibility that the trash will settle out.

It will not harm the plastic/rubber components since these materials are typically used in dishwashers.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast