FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Best way to remove Hot water valve and hoses?

Best way to remove Hot water valve and hoses?

My DeLorean developed a leak which appears to be at the hot water valve or at one of the hoses that is connected to it. What would be the best method to replace these hoses? It seems like its impossible to even get at it without having to remove a bunch of other stuff first.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I had to do this as part of my 3.0L engine swap. I don't have that exhaust pipe the runs under the transmission anymore, so I don't know if that's in the way, but if you get under the car you should be able to reach up and get to the hoses. I found that having a long socket extension or long screwdriver allowed me to hold a hose with my left hand, then reach under and around the transmission to the driver's side, and then over aim the screwdriver over the top of the transmission with my right hand.

If I remember correctly, the hoses are:

- From the "T" to the back of the engine. That engine side is easiest to get to from the top, ideally with the louvers and engine cover off. I'm not sure how hard it is to get to otherwise. It's the one on the driver's side.

- "T" to hot water valve (short piece of hose), which you can get to from under the car.

- "T" to coolant bottle (smaller diameter hose), one end under the car and one end from above the engine bay.

- Hot water valve to the metal pipes that runs to the front of the car to the heater core, accessible from under the car.

On my 3.0L, I found that the engine pipe was 5/8", but the "T" and hot water valve are 3/4". The 5/8" hose I was using leaked at the "T", but I was able to find a 5/8" to 3/4" hose fit perfectly. I'm guessing the 2.8L is 5/8" all the way.

Don't forget to reconnect the vacuum line on the hot water valve.

-- Joe

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by baseball_fan View Post
    My DeLorean developed a leak which appears to be at the hot water valve or at one of the hoses that is connected to it. What would be the best method to replace these hoses? It seems like its impossible to even get at it without having to remove a bunch of other stuff first.
    Have you already verified that one of the hoses is bad, that it's not just a loose connection or bad heater valve/tee?

One option to hose replacement, if you know the leak is at the end of a certain hose and it's leaking at the heater valve, is to see if you can pull the offending hose off the valve and cut it back to an unbroken section, then reconnect the 'fresh' end of the hose to the valve and tighten it up. The valve isn't in a fixed location so it will move a bit to accommodate this fix.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

You can move the heater valve to the front-end of the car and swap to a different (Autozone) unit. See more details here:

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?5...e-heater-valve

6a9adu9e.jpg

I have not verified if it's the hot water valve or one of the hoses that are leaking....it's like a tangled up knot in there with a bunch of other hoses in the way I can't see anything. Still concerned about how to tackle this without removing other hoses that are in the way. Anybody else have any tips before I tackle this project? I have removed the engine cover to give myself more room to access the area.

Resurrecting this thread.... after doing a full clutch hydraulics change with Clutch Slave, Master, and main line....
    I ended up having to remove the remove the small coolant hose from VOD, and the heater control valve just to get at the Clutch Slave bleeder screw in order to properly bleed.

Definitely looking at option to remove the Heater Control Valve from Engine location to up front like others have.
    Either next to heater core as outlined here.... or by AC accumulator.

If anyone has additional pics of their relocation setups I would appreciate if you could post them.

I'll be using the (all metal) Jag version

Thanks
    Dave M