FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Side mirror problems. Capacitors? Short?

Side mirror problems. Capacitors? Short?

Having a weird problem with my passenger mirror. At first I wasn’t getting it to go in one direction. Replaced the mirror and the switch itself. When plugged in, the dash lights dim (short?) and it’s at 9v. When you unplug the mirror, you get power coming out of the driver’s side connector but only 3 volts.

I’m thinking it’s these 2 capacitors in the passenger door. I can’t find them anywhere and on the capacitors themselves there is no voltage labeled. Shows 0.1uF from AMPOHM UK. See pics.

Anyone know where I can get these and their values? And/or if I’m on the right track? Don’t want to pay $300 for a new door wiring harness with the same old capacitors NOS. They’re probably dried out too.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Pags44; 08-31-2018 at 05:26 PM.

My VIN:    2706

Unplug the short harness with the capacitors and dump it . Plug In the mirror without that short harness . May fix your problem. Worked for me. That short harness is for your radio to eliminate interference when you operate mirror. It's not needed . More then likely is causing your problem . Also take your mirror off and check for mouse chews in the harness. Pretty common and also happened to me .

Can you please be more specific. The wires with the capacitors go directly to the female connector then to the male mirror connector. What are you saying?

Are you saying just got off the 2 capacitors and that’s it?
    Last edited by Pags44; 08-31-2018 at 05:44 PM.

20180822_080828.jpg

While looking at the inside of your door pull out the harness that connects to your passenger mirror . If you have a 5 inch jumper installed inline that looks like this, simply remove it and plug the mirror harness back to the door harness. Theres a good chance that will fix your problem. I had the same issues you described last week and this fixed my problem....worth a shot. I also replaced the switch and the mirror. Also it is possible your mirror switch is defective. Many have had issues with the repro ones.

Any progress?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Is the harness the same on the driver side? I keep popping the fuse when trying to move the driver mirror up or down but oddly it works fine in/out (passenger side is fine so I know it's not the switch).
    -----Dan B.

I actually think it could be bad wiring in the door now. Everything else checks out fine.