FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: engine distrbutor timing

My VIN:    6982

engine distrbutor timing

so to fix a leak i had removed the intake and while putting it back on i cracked the distributor cap, so i replaced it and buttoned it all back up. i noticed while i was putting it all back the engine distributor was loose so i tightened it up to where i believed it was before... car wont start.

long story short i just am going to get the car to TDC and just realign it.

question.

the manual shows to get the car to TDC firing stroke for cyl 1 you have to set the notch to 13degrees.

people on the forums are saying this is totally incorrect and its actually the righthand notch at 0degrees.

can anyone confirm this?

also there is a little plug that can be removed near the back of the waterpump, should i just use that to find TDC??
    Last edited by smallclone; 09-02-2018 at 06:32 PM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The timing plug is for setting TDC cylinder 1, but you must be sure you are at the top of the compression stroke.

The RH notch in the timing plate is “0” TDC for cylinders 1&6. The difference is that there are two marks on the pulley. One mark is for cylinder 1 the other is for cyl 6.

The engine should start and run if the timing is reasonably close. IE the timing falls somewhere between the 0 and 13. The you just need to use a timing light to set the 13 BTDC.

Was there any kind of witness mark on the distributor hold down slot, perhaps a washer imprint from where it was previously tightened down.

Also make sure all the wire connections are rechecked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

there was a witness mark and i think thats what got me in trouble but looking at it again i found a few markings in blue marker and lined it up to that. theres a very good chance that will do the trick but i cant be certain. thats why i wanted to double check everything.

Like I said, if you are reasonably close it should run, assuming the All wires are secured and the cap and rotor are on correctly. If doesn’t even attempt to fire, check that you are getting spark.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

timing

Quick question on timing with DPI cams, is 13
    degrees ok or should it be 15, 16?

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Quick question on timing with DPI cams, is 13
    degrees ok or should it be 15, 16?
    His cams are pretty lumpy. I’d guess 16-18 which seems to be pretty typical for high lift cam engines.

DENNIS

How do people adjust the timing if the distributor is covered under the intake? It seems small tweaks are impossible because of where it is.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Probably best to set it using full advance (Josh can tell you degrees-RPM for that cam) and let the timing at idle fall where it may.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
    How do people adjust the timing if the distributor is covered under the intake? It seems small tweaks are impossible because of where it is.
    Loosen the bolt a little, enough that you can rotate the distributor but tight enough that it won't spring back by itself. Set the timing, then tighten the bolt. Yeah - it's kinda fiddley but that's how its done.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC