Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Best Exhaust Manifold Gaskets?

  1. #1
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,636

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Best Exhaust Manifold Gaskets?

    Title says it all, any thoughts on who sells the best? Experiences? Many many years ago I had purchased a few sets of then SpecialTAuto's stainless exhaust manifold gaskets. They blow out on me. I continue to hear the hiss of a leak every time I drive and also wonder if my exhaust is overly loud because of it, and while I dread doing this repair, I finally want to get it fixed.
    -----Dan B.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Location:  West Sayville, N.Y.

    Posts:    1,348

    My VIN:    005058 000927

    Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Title says it all, any thoughts on who sells the best? Experiences? Many many years ago I had purchased a few sets of then SpecialTAuto's stainless exhaust manifold gaskets. They blow out on me. I continue to hear the hiss of a leak every time I drive and also wonder if my exhaust is overly loud because of it, and while I dread doing this repair, I finally want to get it fixed.
    We offer three kits. Our premium kit uses Volvo one piece gaskets combined with hardened stainless M7 studs With copper coated flanged locknuts. This lasts longer than anything else we have tried.
    Rob

  3. #3
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,636

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We offer three kits. Our premium kit uses Volvo one piece gaskets combined with hardened stainless M7 studs With copper coated flanged locknuts. This lasts longer than anything else we have tried.
    Rob
    Will call to discuss, need a pilot bearing from you as well.
    -----Dan B.

  4. #4
    Senior Member vwdmc16's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  sacramento

    Posts:    1,332

    My VIN:    1768

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Also just installed the volvo one piece gaskets. Good stuffa

  5. #5
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,636

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    I ordered the gaskets from Rob, it will probably be two weeks before I tackle the gasket replacement and the clutch at the same time.
    -----Dan B.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2018

    Location:  Near Philadelphia

    Posts:    26

    My VIN:    1596

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We offer three kits. Our premium kit uses Volvo one piece gaskets combined with hardened stainless M7 studs With copper coated flanged locknuts. This lasts longer than anything else we have tried.
    Rob
    Rob, Is there a link? I can't find any gaskets on your website. Thanks!

    (I am installing a used Stage 1 exhaust - shouldn't matter, right?)

  7. #7
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,636

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxbot View Post
    Rob, Is there a link? I can't find any gaskets on your website. Thanks!

    (I am installing a used Stage 1 exhaust - shouldn't matter, right?)
    Best to just call and discuss your options. It shouldn't matter what exhaust you're installing.
    Last edited by Ron; 11-21-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Format
    -----Dan B.

  8. #8
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Crystal Lake IL

    Posts:    5,109

    My VIN:    05429

    More important than the gaskets is that you get the manifolds resurfaced. They need to be perfectly flat and clean. We have them done at a machine shop. If you just sand them they will blow out again faster than you'd think.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member bfloyd's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2014

    Location:  Lebanon, Tennessee

    Posts:    328

    My VIN:    3294

    I had mine replaced at DMC Midwest. It no longer sounds like a 1970 something Volkswagon.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

  10. #10
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    1,799

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    More important than the gaskets is that you get the manifolds resurfaced. They need to be perfectly flat and clean.
    I agree. When I reconditioned my manifolds and put new gaskets on, it made such a difference in the car. Not only sound but the performance as well. I also used high temperature RTV gasket maker as recommended by Dave S for good measure.
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •