FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door lock cylinder pulling out slightly when removing key

My VIN:    3937

Door lock cylinder pulling out slightly when removing key

Wondered if anyone has seen this happen before and can shed some light on what might be happening.

My driver's side door lock cylinder has been acting up a little for a month or so. When I go to remove the key from the door lock, the inside cylinder wants to pull out slightly as you pull the key. Not a lot, but perhaps like one millimeter (1/16" ?). Nothing terrible happens and the doors still lock and unlock fine, but I can then push on this slightly raised inner cylinder with my finger and it will "pop" back in place. The black bezel of the door lock doesn't move at all, just the inner (silver) cylinder is moving slightly in and out.

It's not the end of the world if it does this as I can be careful with it and keep an eye on it getting worse. My fear though is if it is about to get worse and this is a sign that something needs to be done proactively. Before it breaks completely at some inopportune time that is. I took off the inside door panel earlier today and it doesn't look unusual. Nothing obvious anyway.

Let me know if you have any ideas. I could shoot a quick video and upload it if it isn't clear what I'm describing.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Possibly the clip is bent or one of the sides has broke off.

Which clip did you have in mind?

There is a small clip locking the orange plastic part in place on the backside of the lock cylinder. The kind that snaps into place and the "teeth" go into a groove in the cylinder and keep everything snug. Presumably that's how it is supposed to work. Is this the one you meant?

I didn't take any pictures yesterday, but here's one from 2016 of the same door.

IMG_4654.jpg

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I have the later style locks with the black ring around the centre silver circle.

We replaced those in the first year I had the car. The car had the other style originally, but I didn't get a door key with the car when it first arrived. We keyed the door locks to match the cubby hole lock which I also bought new at the time as I didn't get one of those with the car either. We didn't match the keys to the ignition back then, which wouldn't much matter now anyway since I replaced the ignition switch with one from a parts car years ago.

I am thinking maybe it is that snap ring clip that's not seated all the way. Need to pull off the trim again and perhaps take the cylinder right out of the door to inspect closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I have the later style locks with the black ring around the centre silver circle.

We replaced those in the first year I had the car. The car had the other style originally, but I didn't get a door key with the car when it first arrived. We keyed the door locks to match the cubby hole lock which I also bought new at the time as I didn't get one of those with the car either. We didn't match the keys to the ignition back then, which wouldn't much matter now anyway since I replaced the ignition switch with one from a parts car years ago.

I am thinking maybe it is that snap ring clip that's not seated all the way. Need to pull off the trim again and perhaps take the cylinder right out of the door to inspect closer.
    That's about all it can be, unless one of the "ears" is broken off the lock cylinder or the metal clip is somehow deformed. I'd remove the clip, remove the lock, inspect and reinstall.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Have you considered just not having locks? They only add weight.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Have you considered just not having locks? They only add weight.
    True, and removing them adds speed holes.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC