FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SS Letters/Inserts for Rear Bumper and Dior Sills

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Before applying the letters with the adhesive you must clean, clean, and clean again! When the bumper and sills were made they used a "release agent" which must be thoroughly removed or the letters will fall off. While I also like the lighted bumper it is a LOT of work and there are no "kits". There is precedence to painting the bumper. I think it was Proto I they did it to because marketing thought it was not noticeable enough and they wanted it more prominent.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Not yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Thanks DMC1890! I like the letters on our cars exposed and legible and the white lexan panels help during the day! Were your letters from a vendor?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    How did you attach the “dots” to the Lexan in the letters “e” ”o”, etc? I’d be worried those would come off.

Excellent job, looks amazing! If I were to attempt I would try multi color RGB behind and change colors/effects with remote.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Thanks! It was ALOT of work. Anyway I used Superglue made by Loctite with a blue cap! Trust me, they ain't coming off. We use the same stuff to hold 8 heavy duty springs in place when servicing the brake on a crane that mounts sideways and that metal to metal!
    Quote Originally Posted by osudrummer View Post
    How did you attach the “dots” to the Lexan in the letters “e” ”o”, etc? I’d be worried those would come off.

Excellent job, looks amazing! If I were to attempt I would try multi color RGB behind and change colors/effects with remote.
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

RGB leds would look great also. I juat went with red as they come on when the exterior lights are on!
    Quote Originally Posted by osudrummer View Post

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    1890

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Thanks DMC1890! I like the letters on our cars exposed and legible and the white lexan panels help during the day! Were your letters from a vendor?

The letters were on there when I got the D, so I don't know where they came from. They were still stuck on, but just looked really bad.
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    The letters were on there when I got the D, so I don't know where they came from. They were still stuck on, but just looked really bad.
    In dont blame you for removing them then.

My VIN:    Between VINs

May or may not be helpful here.

I was going to buy SS letters but when I ordered them the vendor was out of stock. Was leaving for a trip and really wanted some form of callout letters so I bought these in chrome:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-DMC-...-/253262021283

I thought they would be temporary but they ended up looking really good and show no signs of peeling; and I drive in all weather. I don't plan to switch them to SS now.

Just mentioning it as an option.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGo Arran View Post
    Bumper: https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainl...lettering.html

and Sill: https://www.deloreango.com/us/stainl...-set-of-6.html

Both in laser-cut stainless steel. Attach with a good flexible glue, or good quality double-sided tape (emblem tape). Those light-up bumper ones above look cool though!
    I got these bumper inserts when I restored my fascias. I recommend them as a high quality option:

Before:

After:

Last edited by DMC-81; 09-08-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Before applying the letters with the adhesive you must clean, clean, and clean again! When the bumper and sills were made they used a "release agent" which must be thoroughly removed or the letters will fall off. While I also like the lighted bumper it is a LOT of work and there are no "kits". There is precedence to painting the bumper. I think it was Proto I they did it to because marketing thought it was not noticeable enough and they wanted it more prominent.
    +1 on cleaning. Very important. I bought my SS letters for the rear fascia in 2008 and Julee instructed me to "antiseptically" clean the area before installing (i.e. using isopropyl alcohol). They have been on there for ten years now and never concerned me.

IMG_5484.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2