FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Flat front tire - future plans for tires?

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Not advisable to still be on original wheels.
    Ah, yes, I should check the work shop manual, and wax my mustache.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Unfortunately, everything is a compromise now with tires on these if you want stock sizes. Either you go with different brands front and rear or same brand with different treads front and rear. I'm running Cooper CS4 Touring tires on mine with matching treads. Stock size up front (195/60R14) but narrower 225/60R15 in rear. They are about 6 years old now and ride very nice. I don't drive too aggressively, so I don't think the narrower tire in the rear is going to affect much for me. Plus, I'd guess that a modern 225 will actually have better traction than the original Goodyears did anyway. I will revisit this in a few years when mine need replacement due to age. Hopefully, by then someone will produce matching tires in the stock sizes again. If your car is lowered like mine is, I would not go a size up in the front since they may rub the fenders.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    Unfortunately, everything is a compromise now with tires on these if you want stock sizes. Either you go with different brands front and rear or same brand with different treads front and rear. I'm running Cooper CS4 Touring tires on mine with matching treads. Stock size up front (195/60R14) but narrower 225/60R15 in rear. They are about 6 years old now and ride very nice. I don't drive too aggressively, so I don't think the narrower tire in the rear is going to affect much for me. Plus, I'd guess that a modern 225 will actually have better traction than the original Goodyears did anyway. I will revisit this in a few years when mine need replacement due to age. Hopefully, by then someone will produce matching tires in the stock sizes again. If your car is lowered like mine is, I would not go a size up in the front since they may rub the fenders.
    My thinking is the 225 will give a 12mm smaller overall sidewall difference in the rear and that would be noticable (to me) and not fill the wheel well nicely. If however I was carefull and matched the aspect ratio to a 195 or even a 205 up front, I might get by without any rubbing. I'm willing to risk it anyway and if all else fails I will order a set of rear spacers and put them up front. If it does work I'm pretty sure I would like the way the wider front tires look. As far as ill mannered cornering, the parade traffic and Sunday drives that see me pushing the 70mph performance envelope will be unaffected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4