FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat front tire - future plans for tires?

My VIN:    11596

Flat front tire - future plans for tires?

Hey guys, been a while...

Beautiful day in Kansas City so figured I'd take the D off the trickle charger and use it to run errands. It's been about a month since I drove it last. I barely got down the driveway before I realized something was very not right with the steering. Pulling back up into my drive I got out and found the pass side front tire was 100% flat. I rolled the air compressor out and filled the tire, then pulled into the garage and lifted the front up, taking the wheel off. No nails or anything. Hmm.

I took it to Discount Tire, thinking they could dismount it and figure out what happened - probably the valve stem? They said they wish they could help but the tire is over 10 years old and their policy says they can't touch it. But they can definitely sell me a set of tires - Uniroyal Tiger Paws in 195 and 225 for $511 out of the door.

I then took it to Big O where we realized that the schrader valve is the problem - a new schrader insert and I was good to go once again. I then drove all day with no issues.

Anyway this got me thinking - You can't get good tires in a matching factory size set like the Michelin XGT's (which is what I have) anymore. I only have about 10K on my set and they still look new, but true, they are getting old and while they don't show any sign of failure now, I'm probably getting close to borrowed time.

What's the consensus these days on tires? Are the Tiger Paws seriously the best we have now? Does anyone make the bigger wheels in factory style anymore?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I think my next set will happen in the next 3 to 5 years. (Currents are about 6 years old)

If the matching factory sizes are still NLA, I will try to find a set with an upsized front, maybe a 195 or 205/55 or 50. I would rather try that and hope for no rubbing at full lock than go down to 225 on the rear.

Now I shall sit back and await all the self appointed gurus tell me how dangerous it is to ride on tires that are over 7 years old and we will surely die even though most of us are nearing double digit age and a few are still rolling on their original NCT's without a care in the world.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

I don’t understand the hand wringing over nonmatching tires.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    I don’t understand the hand wringing over nonmatching tires.
    It's nothing to most, but for a man who polishes his coil springs and waxes his frame, non matching tires are the same as taking a SOS pad crossgrain.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-09-2018 at 09:06 AM.

My VIN:    10353

Mine had new tires when I bought it 2 yrs ago. Falken Ziex tires, matching front and rears. I wanted white letters so got one of those tire pens and painted the letters, came out pretty nice.

Haven't waxed my DPI coilovers yet...

I donÂ’t understand the hand wringing over nonmatching tires.
    Probably because that looks like garbage and it looks like you're too cheap to replace all four of them. I'm only ok with non matching set if they are same brand and very close in style.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Probably because that looks like garbage and it looks like you're too cheap to replace all four of them. I'm only ok with non matching set if they are same brand and very close in style.
    Yeah, totally ruins the look. I lay awake at night wondering if someone is going to be check the code in the tires to ensure they were produced at the same time. Mismatched tires are for Joe Dirt scumbags and I stand corrected.

Yeah, totally ruins the look. I lay awake at night wondering if someone is going to be check the code in the tires to ensure they were produced at the same time. Mismatched tires are for Joe Dirt scumbags and I stand corrected.
    It literally does. There are no tires in matching OEM sizes, so everything you choose will be a compromise. Either size down the front (Uniroyals) or size up both sets (BFG Radial T/A's). Mixing up brands to get OEM sizes is simply the worst option we have and I would wager that most owners are not interested in that at all.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Rockin a set of tires that was made when Regan was in charge....now that's a man I would drink a beer with.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast