FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuse panel relay upgrade install question

My VIN:    17007

Fuse panel relay upgrade install question

All electronics are currently working with the fuel guage(order an upgrade kit) but to take preventive measures I purchase relay update kit form DMCH. Before tackling I wanted to be familiar with a stock fuse panel to see if any butchering and so I read a bunch of old threads. Unfortunately I couldn’t locate a stock photo so if someone as one that would great.
    Second could someone point out what modifications were made already . Only two I can tell is they put an extra relay next to 18,19 and removed relay 10. Also any additional upgrades I should make that the kit does not provide.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    03572

That removed relay with the jumper is to make the AC panel lights only come on when the car lights are on.

Looks like your fuse #7 has seen overheating.

One of your circuit breakers is not wired to anything.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    2706

Get an rpm relay from Dave and if your still running stock fans get one of his fan fail relays .

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Fuse panel relay upgrade install question

Your wiring appears to be Stock. I don’t see any unidentifiable ones.

If you ordered the the DMCH kit, just follow the instructions that should come with it.

Things that will change.

You will get a new Fused fan fail jumper assembly. This will replace the Black/ green wires in the Blue socket.

The A/C panel illumination Relay has been removed and the Black/Red bypass jumper installed. This is a common modification so that the A/C panel is only back lit when the Headlight/park lights are on. The OE bulbs put out a lot of heat. This mod helped keep that a minimum. If you install LED’s it’s not a problem, then it just becomes a personal preference.
    If you want to make it look factory and retain the modification, you snip/break off the center tab 87a on the relay.

A replacement thermal trip breaker was installed next too the the original. The kit will have one that fits the Original location. Remove the added breaker, replace the OE (unused one) and install the New one from the kit. Pay attention to the wire positions on the relay. The Brown wire goes to the BATT terminal on the breaker. Also it appears the wire connection got hot by evidence of some melting plastic terminal housing.

I’m curious what VIN you have?
    You have a fuse 18 (brake light). Many cars don’t use position 18, but have an inline fuse located forward in the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-09-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

VIN 17007 1983 Sept.

Okay I’m stuck on breaker 19 . Instructions says 12V should be connected to BAT side of breaker and the other wire to ACC side. Which is suppose to have the 12v orange/brown or brown/black. I’m not getting 12v from either .

i think the 12v is the orange and brown . I’m thinking the 83 might have a slightly different harness. What are the wires for on the door lock circuit breaker. I have 12v on the brown wire so I put that on batt side then there is a thin and thick red wire. Thick red wire reads 0volts but I can see it goes to the door lock module but the thin red wire reads 12v. What does that go to and Should I put these this red wires on Acc side?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dontilgon; 09-09-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontilgon View Post
    i think the 12v is the orange and brown . I’m thinking the 83 might have a slightly different harness. What are the wires for on the door lock circuit breaker. I have 12v on the brown wire so I put that on batt side then there is a thin and thick red wire. Thick red wire reads 0volts but I can see it goes to the door lock module but the thin red wire reads 12v. What does that go to and Should I put these this red wires on Acc side?
    Yes , Brown/orange is the 12v supply for the breaker that goes in the empty holder.

The small red wire is the always Live 12v for the Power Antenna.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Yes , Brown/orange is the 12v supply for the breaker that goes in the empty holder.

The small red wire is the always Live 12v for the Power Antenna.

Ahh power antenna thanks. I presume it goes in the ACC side. Thanks for everyone’s help. I appreciate it.

Joe
    Any chance anyone one has a 1983 stock fuse panel picture.

Yes,ACC side.

The only difference in fuse boxes will be whether FUSE 18 is used or not. Fuse Boxes without Fuse 18, DO NOT have wire terminals in that location.
    If the fuse in that location looks like the rest, it’s factory and unlikely to be a PO Added (hidden circuit)

Also the fuses you have with LARGE amp numbers are Original. Its your choice , but I would replace them with New fuses. (Cheap insurance)

At the very minimum you should pull all of them and clean the tabs with scotch-brite or fine emery cloth.

DENNIS

Back in the fuse box

I crimped new terminals on the burnt wires above. I don’t remember which side of the breaker these two wires came out of either battery or AUX side. I did the 12 V test has in the instructions but both do not read 12 V. According to the instructions one of them should read 12 V and that should go onto the battery side of the breaker. My battery is connected and reading 12.2 V. Any ideas thanks
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast