FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bought another Giugiaro Designed car

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Man... Esprit motor pulls are NOT fun! Do it yourself?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Man... Esprit motor pulls are NOT fun! Do it yourself?
    Wasn't too bad . Have a friend who's shop let's us keep the car there. We actually pulled just the transmission. Then I was like well I gotta redo the water pump and update hoses and may as well replace the original fuel tanks . So we pulled the motor separately. It took a full day start to finish for both but honestly with the right tools it wasn't so bad ( and a loft). Now if I was doing this in the garage? I would probably still be just cleaning electrical connectors and the such. Half the time it's waiting on a part from England or doing research. I'm checking the Rover sd1 forum to find led tail lights no luck. I want to do all led to make it less strain on the electrical system but I gotta try to find a cross over list for standard to led p/n`s. That is half the fun though
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    10201

When I found my DeLorean I also saw a white esprit turbo for sale around the same price. It was much further away so I got the DeLorean instead, but I still wanted one.

I saw the wheeler dealers episode where they worked on one and noped out. Unless that increased the work to add to TV drama, it seemed like the access overall mde maintenance a nightmare.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Maintenance access is difficult. General rule-of-thumb is if you have more than 2 things to do on the motor you pull it. Keeping up with the service is even more important to a Lotus than a Delorean (it is still important on a Delorean too). Getting parts can be difficult (depends on year, model and which part) and the price of the parts is higher too. Unless you have a well-sorted one, it can be very expensive and frustrating to own. It is also hard to find local qualified techs to work on the car without butchering it. All that said, it is a delight to drive (a well sorted one of course!). Supercar performance without the supercar expense. If you buy a Lotus without having it's service history it is going to cost you dearly. Fixing up one that hasn't been used for a long time can be VERY expensive. They have a bad reputation mainly because most are not well maintained.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I personally found the V8 Esprits much easier to work on, motor-wise, than the 4s. But neither one is pleasant.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3