My front DMC logo looked beat up from years acting as the front deflector shield. The letters were pitted and the pits were black and the black surround was pitted and the pits were silver. At shows, folks will occasionally photograph the logo and I was a bit embarrassed about the appearance.

While cleaning the car the other day I decided to refinish it:
- Initially I used some 120 grit sandpaper, working it by hand, but it was not going fast enough
- Then I used a small (2" diameter) flap-wheel (not sure of the grit size ... it was something I had laying around). This made progress faster and did 90%+ of the work and I used a medium amount of force (definitely not a light touch)
- The flap-wheel was a bit fine so I used the 120 sandpaper again but it looks good with a fine grain
- I touched up the chipped black areas around the letters with a black magic marker. Depending on how long it lasts I may go back with black paint (spray black paint in a cup and use that ... it is thinner than a can of black paint)

Now deflector shield looks a whole lot better!!! Like new.

But the thing that became obvious late in the process and that I wanted to share is that the black in the pitting is asphalt (or whatever they use these days). Had I to do it over, I'd get some solvent and remove the asphalt first rather than use the flap-wheel to get it out.

There are at least 2 styled front logos:
- Those where the black goes up the letters to the "top" (early cars?)
- Those where the side of the letters are unpainted

Mine is the style where the black goes all the way up. Note that using the flap-wheel did not damage the black on the edges but I was careful not to let the flap-wheel grind the edge. But YMMV based on your technique.