FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: What size of speakers can be mounted on the back wall?

What size of speakers can be mounted on the back wall?

It seems like it makes a lot more sense to put speakers in the back wall than it does to dig out those wacky speakers in the side panels. What size of speakers can go back there? What’s the depth clearance available? Any special notes for doing that? Thank you
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

You can put whatever size you want up to the 12" or so of height of the back wall. It's just a wooden panel. Depth will only be about 2" or so thus limiting the type of speaker/magnet that will fit unless you protrude further out the front. Why? The ovals in the stock location are fine if you replace them with modern speakers. Many of us beef up the system by putting a subwoofer in the cubby door. I used a good quality, dual coil JL and it fits/sounds great. I mounted my Alpine amp on the back wall since it is kind of cool to look at and frankly there aren't a lot of other places to put it!

The acoustics in these cars is so bad because of the fiberglass wubba wubba anyway, time and money spent on audio upgrades really aren't worth it IMHO.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    You can put whatever size you want up to the 12" or so of height of the back wall. It's just a wooden panel. Depth will only be about 2" or so thus limiting the type of speaker/magnet that will fit unless you protrude further out the front. Why? The ovals in the stock location are fine if you replace them with modern speakers. Many of us beef up the system by putting a subwoofer in the cubby door. I used a good quality, dual coil JL and it fits/sounds great. I mounted my Alpine amp on the back wall since it is kind of cool to look at and frankly there aren't a lot of other places to put it!

The acoustics in these cars is so bad because of the fiberglass wubba wubba anyway, time and money spent on audio upgrades really aren't worth it IMHO.
    Thanks, do I need to worry about breaking anything or is it difficult to take off the side panels to get to the original rear speakers? What’s the max size of modern speaker you can fit in those spots? Thanks again
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...