FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hervey’s sound dampening kit? Get from “ken”?

Hervey’s sound dampening kit? Get from “ken”?

I heard that Hervey simply resells the kit from somebody named Ken. The price is $129 now. Seems like a lot for some rubber. Does anybody know who Ken is?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    I heard that Hervey simply resells the kit from somebody named Ken. The price is $129 now. Seems like a lot for some rubber. Does anybody know who Ken is?
    Hervey pretty much resells everything.

Check out post #19 of this thread and tell me you want to give any business to that POS

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...light=Specialt
    Last edited by Michael; 09-14-2018 at 10:51 PM.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Here's a product that was recommended in post 56 of the following thread:

https://www.fatmat.com/shop/50-sq-ft...included-23297

Price:$129.00

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?43...namat-any-tips

Ken K. (legendary Koncelik presumably) was mentioned in post 44

As for Hervey:
    There are so many stories about Hervey and his business that I've heard and or experienced myself. Here a quote that sums it up:

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I still have a box of his (uninstalled) crap somewhere that I bought before learning about this vendor.

I just literally heard another story from a DCS club member that bought a part from Hervey, and soon after he installed it, it failed. Of course, when called, Hervey accused the customer (a talented, meticulous and experienced restorer of multiple cars) of damaging it somehow. Rather than arguing against Hervey's ridulous claims on what happened to the brand new part, the club member bought another part from a different vendor.

How audacious of him to claim a "3 year limited warranty", on his website and then bully a non-confrontational person so that he doesn't have to honor it. Apparently the warranty is "limited" to a customer willing and able to defeat Hervey in a debate. I guess John Hervey's business philosophy makes sense after you read post 19 that Michael linked to.

It's your car, but I'd recommend finding your sound dampening kit elsewhere.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-15-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

That’s pretty crazy. Thanks guys. That kid looks pretty good.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

For all of the complaints about John H, he has many happy customers. As with any vendor you have to pick and choose what you want and some are better at certain parts and service than others. As for a "sound deadening kit" go buy some pads at a local store and save the shipping. You can make it custom fit the car with a pair of scissors. Just be aware the good stuff is HEAVY so don't over do it.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    For all of the complaints about John H, he has many happy customers. As with any vendor you have to pick and choose what you want and some are better at certain parts and service than others. As for a "sound deadening kit" go buy some pads at a local store and save the shipping. You can make it custom fit the car with a pair of scissors. Just be aware the good stuff is HEAVY so don't over do it.
    Thanks Dave. When you say pads – are you saying you can just go buy a big sheet of thick rubber to cut up? Where do you get that? Thank you

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Mustaches must stick together!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can buy it in squares about 2 feet square or some places sell it in rolls. Some of it is backed with aluminum foil and some of it has adhesive applied so they are "peel and stick". Check out your local auto store or Eastwood.com.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I used the Fatmat myself and did the whole of my interior for pretty cheap.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You can buy it in squares about 2 feet square or some places sell it in rolls. Some of it is backed with aluminum foil and some of it has adhesive applied so they are "peel and stick". Check out your local auto store or Eastwood.com.
    Yes, you can get products at auto parts stores (like Thermo-Tech # 14720 for $56 at Auto Zone), but I would check reviews on these.

Eastwood just resells Dynamat Extreme , 36 sq ft for $229 plus shipping. If you want to get the same product (#11675), and save the shipping (get it shipped to your local store), you can buy it from Walmart.com for $150, item # 554223413. I find Eastwood has some good products but they are somewhat pricey. I would see what value you're getting for the extra $79 plus shipping on the identical item.

Of course, The Fatmat option is 50 sqft for $129, free shipping direct from the manufacturer in Ohio. I see that there are at least a couple members (like Rob ^ ) that have used it that you can ask for reviews of the product.

Some good recommendations are what I'd be looking for on this solution as its a fair amount of work and hard to remove.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-20-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast