FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: No 12 fuse

No 12 fuse

No 12 fuse keeps blowing. I noticed the door open light staying on the other day while driving. I got home and realized that I didn't have door or interior lights. I replaced the fuse and all was well until I started the car up again. The fuse is fine as long as the key is off or it is in position 1 or 2. As soon as I start the car though, it blows. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

My VIN:    03572

Probably a wire has shorted onto another wire. I would start by pulling the blue bulkhead connector off (I think your car should start with it off). That would confirm or eliminate the wires in the engine harness.

It's really going to be hard to find that short. One other common problem is the two screws that hold down the shifter cover plate sometime cut wires so you could also remove those screws and see if the problem corrects.

A slim possibility is one of the bulbs is drawing to much power. So another thing to try is removing the bulbs.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

#12 is a lighting circuit. The lights it feeds are;

Engine bay light
    Bonnet light
    Glove box
    Diagnostic plug
    Interior lights
    Door edge lights.

First thing I would check is the engine bay light. Very common for the plastic to melt and the brass contacts touch shorting the circuit to ground. Next check the wires going to the diagnostic plug. They could have gotten caught on something or burnt or they were just cut. I have no explanation why it only blows when you turn the key on. If you still have the problem you are going to have to go over every inch of the circuit to find the short. One thing to do is make sure all of the lights work. Any that don't could be the problem. That means every door edge light and the diodes. Inspect the wires going to the doors at the top where they flex.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks for the replies guys. I have had issues with the engine bay light before. I guess I'll start there.

Thanks

Well, it ended up being the engine bay light. It's only worked sporadically since I've had the car. The housing seemed fine, but it never has really worked right. I just took the bulb out and all appears to be fine now.

Thanks