FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Updated Interior Design

Well done. I find people often fail to put things into context of the time and it's peers, especially when delorean related. Folks forget how awful the interior was of the contemporary 911. Same goes for performance. When people criticize the D's performance, they fail to put it into the context of all the crap-tacular cars coming out of the post OPEC and emissions crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    This. I think that interior is probably more dated than the original interior nowadays. That design is 14 years old now... which is about 2-3 generations old in terms of car design. Not to mention the organic, flowing lines of that interior are quite at odds with the flat surfaces & straight lines of the DeLorean exterior. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the drive to modernize the way the DeLorean functions- more power, better braking, handling, reliability, etc. But to me looks are the one area the car really needs no help in. Plus, part of the car's charm is it's SO 1980s looking- why stray from that?

I agree, except for the late model Hyundai I've seen locally. It had a HUGE Hyundai vinyl logo on the back quarters...no...back HALF of BOTH sides. Then it had aweful green LED fog accents up front, some nuclear waste sticker on the gas flap and HYUNDAI on the windscreen. **hurk**.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This.

I love these cars, but man, I've never seen another car that people like to brand and badge like they do DeLoreans. Some cars you'll look at a photo and see "DMC" or "DeLorean" in a dozen places in one photo. I agree that accent pieces go a lot farther to express the car than putting DMC on every possible piece.
    Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by nirvanaman View Post
    Well done. I find people often fail to put things into context of the time and it's peers, especially when delorean related. Folks forget how awful the interior was of the contemporary 911. Same goes for performance. When people criticize the D's performance, they fail to put it into the context of all the crap-tacular cars coming out of the post OPEC and emissions crisis.
    Interior, I agree on. As far as performance, disagree completely. 911s, Ferrari 308s, even the quite neutered Corvette all handily outperform the DeLorean.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    The Delorean is a design that is over 30 years old. However the exterior is still recognizable and could even be considered contemporary.
    One area where it falls short besides the performance, is in the interior. Its dated badly. It borrowed much of the design from the Lotus Espirit, which isn't a bad thing, but it looks fairly outdated. I guess it is a common issue with most of the cars that were designed in 70s. If you look at the contemporary Lambos, Porsches and Ferraris of the era, the interiors aren't to the class of the one before. However they do have other factors that make up for the shortcomings in terms of performance, exceptional handling, driving feel, etc.; to the point of making them highly desirable.

Let's face it... the DMC-12 is unique, but not as highly desirable. And the only one that really get noticed are the custom BTTF cars.

So with that in mind, it makes me happy to see someone do something like this..
    Attachment 58021

I wouldn't even mind seeing more mods of the last Lotus Espirit interior...
    Attachment 58022Attachment 58023

I like seeing the mods people have done using digital dash and iPads in the center consoles. But if I'm honest, I would like to see an interior that is about as timeless as the Delorean's shape itself. Perhaps something similar to the Tesla Model 3...
    Attachment 58024

Perhaps its just wishful thinking.. or maybe an idea for a mod when I do get myself one.
    I agree with most replies in this thread. I'm all for modifications if that's what you want for your car, however for my taste, the interior is period correct, and as mentioned, it compares favorably with its contemporaries.
    It's angular shape matches the exterior, with controls laid out in intuitive fashion. Sure it's dated, but the car is up to 37 years old and is now an icon.

Whenever I'm out in the car or show it, I never have people wince at the interior or make negative comments about it. I find them as wide eyed as with the exterior. Maybe it's just seeing something in reality that was only seen in pictures before.

Plus, I find it actually comfortable.

Personally, I find a rounded interior that looks pulled out of a Toyota misplaced. Also, I'm sorry, but I don't care for the Tesla Model 3 interior. It will be interesting to see how many accidents are caused by the huge screen bolted to the center of the dash.... people these days can't even put their phone down while driving, imagine when they only have a small TV screen out of the driving field of vision to serve as a major distraction. Also I wonder how the screen will hold up in the summer temperatures of a closed up, parked car in the south. If that's the design trend going forward, I'll maintain old, pre-touchscreen cars.

The whole car is an instantly recognizable pop culture icon, interior included. My stock car is a one-car car show wherever it goes. Now that the BTTF day is fading, my experience is that more and more people are appreciating these cars as a classic car to own. Sure there are BTTF fans, and I have one or two props in the trunk for their benefit, but based on my experience with fielding questions from the public, I believe the car is transitioning from a movie prop to a serious classic car contender, especially for Gen-X'ers like me who are now in the phase of collecting.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I was looking up Delorean videos on Youtube and came across this...

I found it interesting. Can't really agree with everything that was done to the car. The interior was as great as I was hoping it to be, but I do like the front headlight design.
    -- Julz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2