FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Updated Interior Design

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Updated Interior Design

The Delorean is a design that is over 30 years old. However the exterior is still recognizable and could even be considered contemporary.
    One area where it falls short besides the performance, is in the interior. Its dated badly. It borrowed much of the design from the Lotus Espirit, which isn't a bad thing, but it looks fairly outdated. I guess it is a common issue with most of the cars that were designed in 70s. If you look at the contemporary Lambos, Porsches and Ferraris of the era, the interiors aren't to the class of the one before. However they do have other factors that make up for the shortcomings in terms of performance, exceptional handling, driving feel, etc.; to the point of making them highly desirable.

Let's face it... the DMC-12 is unique, but not as highly desirable. And the only one that really get noticed are the custom BTTF cars.

So with that in mind, it makes me happy to see someone do something like this..
    175427077_5963199dcb_o.jpg

I wouldn't even mind seeing more mods of the last Lotus Espirit interior...
    1998_lotus_esprit_coupe-pic-4037328852523830995-640x480.jpg2002.jpg

I like seeing the mods people have done using digital dash and iPads in the center consoles. But if I'm honest, I would like to see an interior that is about as timeless as the Delorean's shape itself. Perhaps something similar to the Tesla Model 3...
    526x297-TF0.jpg

Perhaps its just wishful thinking.. or maybe an idea for a mod when I do get myself one.
    -- Julz

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Your first pic is a DMCH design that itself is rather old now.

Any effort to radically change the D interior looks like a 1970s kitchen in a 1930s house.

My VIN:    3028

I like the interior. Besides maybe changing the overall color, I think the cab is comfortable and functional. I don’t like when people radically change the interior of classic cars. The only improvement would be the proper placement of a cup holder.
    Barry

I would like to see more stainless trim in the interior. Not necessarily any new designs, just less plastic/vinyl and more stainless. The shift knob is a good example of an item that looks better in stainless.

What I definitely don't want is anything that says "DMC" or "DeLorean" on it.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Not even in Comic Sans or Times New Roman?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Not even in Comic Sans or Times New Roman?
    I would accept a lower seat cushion that says "FABombjoy" in Comic Sans.

That is one thing that I would like to have on whatever interior setup.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

This.

I love these cars, but man, I've never seen another car that people like to brand and badge like they do DeLoreans. Some cars you'll look at a photo and see "DMC" or "DeLorean" in a dozen places in one photo. I agree that accent pieces go a lot farther to express the car than putting DMC on every possible piece.

I agree, except for the late model Hyundai I've seen locally. It had a HUGE Hyundai vinyl logo on the back quarters...no...back HALF of BOTH sides. Then it had aweful green LED fog accents up front, some nuclear waste sticker on the gas flap and HYUNDAI on the windscreen. **hurk**.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This.

I love these cars, but man, I've never seen another car that people like to brand and badge like they do DeLoreans. Some cars you'll look at a photo and see "DMC" or "DeLorean" in a dozen places in one photo. I agree that accent pieces go a lot farther to express the car than putting DMC on every possible piece.
    Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Your first pic is a DMCH design that itself is rather old now.

Any effort to radically change the D interior looks like a 1970s kitchen in a 1930s house.
    This. I think that interior is probably more dated than the original interior nowadays. That design is 14 years old now... which is about 2-3 generations old in terms of car design. Not to mention the organic, flowing lines of that interior are quite at odds with the flat surfaces & straight lines of the DeLorean exterior. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the drive to modernize the way the DeLorean functions- more power, better braking, handling, reliability, etc. But to me looks are the one area the car really needs no help in. Plus, part of the car's charm is it's SO 1980s looking- why stray from that?

When judging the DeLorean interior, I think it makes much more sense to view it in context of it's 1981 contemporaries. Compared with them, I think the DeLorean interior looks quite crisp, clean, & modern... and has arguably aged better than any of them:
    Louie Golden

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast