FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket fuse box

Aftermarket fuse box

Has anyone tried a pre-wired aftermarket fuse box? It seems that would save a lot of time versus buying one from DMC and having to install each terminal. I ran across this while searching online: https://mgispeedware.com/product/uni...fuse-panel-18/

Any thoughts?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Has anyone tried a pre-wired aftermarket fuse box? It seems that would save a lot of time versus buying one from DMC and having to install each terminal. I ran across this while searching online: https://mgispeedware.com/product/uni...fuse-panel-18/

Any thoughts?
    Unless it comes with a complete harness, you still need to make all the connections.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Unless it comes with a complete harness, you still need to make all the connections.
    True, but it appears that all you do is strip back some insulation and attach each wire to it’s corresponding screw terminal. That seems much easier than assembling and installing 18 terminals and then attaching each wire.

True, but it appears that all you do is strip back some insulation and attach each wire to it’s corresponding screw terminal. That seems much easier than assembling and installing 18 terminals and then attaching each wire.
    Depends where you mount it if all the existing wires would be long enough. Then you need to make your own wire list to document what you did.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    6883, 6146-Acura Powered, Formerly 10310 and 628

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

True, but it appears that all you do is strip back some insulation and attach each wire to itÂ’s corresponding screw terminal. That seems much easier than assembling and installing 18 terminals and then attaching each wire.
    Yes, but it is a little trickier than that. There are several fuse connections that don't go directly to power. This might complicate the wiring of the aftermarket setup.

I have replaced fuse boxes on 3 different Deloreans and I can honestly say that the fuse panel kit from DMC is pretty nice.
    It is pretty inexpensive. The contacts are of far better quality than the OEM ones. When completed, you have a much-improved, stock-looking setup (with all of the fuses in the correct places).

The advice I would give is to purchase a good crimper ($35) and remove the passenger seat, get a good light, and cut/crimp/install one contact at a time. It takes a couple of hours, but it really isn't that difficult. You will be very happy with the result.

31PL4Kz0hUL.jpg This is one I crimper used - from Amazon ( Sargent 1028 )

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrich View Post
    Yes, but it is a little trickier than that. There are several fuse connections that don't go directly to power. This might complicate the wiring of the aftermarket setup.
    The fuse box I’m looking at has 13 fuses that receive power from the ignition switch, and 5 that are direct to the battery. Is that what you’re referring to?

I’ll keep digging around. Surely someone has a pre wired box that would work with the D’s setup.

Looks like only 4 of the 18 fuses go to battery power. Four go to one AUX relay. Three go to the other AUX relay. The rest have non battery connections to both sides of the fuse. So your looking for a fuse block with terminal blocks going to each side of the fuse.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Looks like only 4 of the 18 fuses go to battery power. Four go to one AUX relay. Three go to the other AUX relay. The rest have non battery connections to both sides of the fuse. So your looking for a fuse block with terminal blocks going to each side of the fuse.
    Thanks. I’ll see what I can find.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrich View Post
    ~snip~ the fuse panel kit from DMC is pretty nice.
    It is pretty inexpensive. The contacts are of far better quality than the OEM ones. When completed, you have a much-improved, stock-looking setup (with all of the fuses in the correct places).

The advice I would give is to purchase a good crimper ($35) and remove the passenger seat, get a good light, and cut/crimp/install one contact at a time. It takes a couple of hours, but it really isn't that difficult. You will be very happy with the result.

31PL4Kz0hUL.jpg This is one I crimper used - from Amazon ( Sargent 1028 )

Tom
    +1 I agree completely. Here’s the tool I got:
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    Early

I was actually thinking of doing an aftermarket mini fuse box with integrated relay receptacles. Unfortunately, my box melted before I could find a suitable assembly.

I may revisit this idea eventually, since I'm in the midst of an engine swap and old wires need to be removed. I mean what the hell, my car is already nowhere near stock...

In any case, if crimping is the only concern in this thread, stick to the stock box. Trust me, when you start deviating from stock, it gets complicated...
    Last edited by 81dmc; 09-23-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast