FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tap Tap Tap . . . is this thing on?

My VIN:    Between VINs

FB DMC community is pretty splintered. Seems like 10 years ago a bunch of people started individual groups and they kind of grew separately, each having a few thousand members. Most of them overlap in mission. I belong to one or two and get suggested to join others but they all seem the same. I don't even read them now that I bought a car; it's mostly people hawking BTTF crap.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26145

That pic(posted by a mod) was back in the days when nightflyer and I were at odds a lot. Now we are much closer and I eagerly await our first date.
    All this reads like you are saying you learned "it" from one mod/admin then use it on/against Soundkillr, who has been in your corner more than once when things got out of hand, fwiw. Beyond humor... [NUFSAID]

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    As much as I enjoy this site, Facebook has been a fairly good option for quick responses to questions on the Technical Help page. Perhaps in the future you might consider going on there to give updates regarding the status of the site?

I know there were a few posts on FB wondering what happened to DMCTALK last weekend. Glad to see it's back up, I've missed Michael's dark/dry sense of humor lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamir A. View Post
    You'll be shocked, but I'm not on Facebook. Though I've heard the DMC community has a strong presence on there as well, so that is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    FB DMC community is pretty splintered. Seems like 10 years ago a bunch of people started individual groups and they kind of grew separately, each having a few thousand members. Most of them overlap in mission. I belong to one or two and get suggested to join others but they all seem the same. I don't even read them now that I bought a car; it's mostly people hawking BTTF crap.
    I don't know...from engineering, developing, ..., to troubleshooting the bottom line is "Were working on it." But anxiety may take some over eventually...

As for Facebook, I got POed after chasing the Agreement Terms 3 levels deep, to yet another 4 levels to read them all and gave up. Haven't been back since (years ago). Not to mention "privacy" there.

Just me!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    All this reads like you are saying you learned "it" from one mod/admin then use it on/against Soundkillr, who has been in your corner more than once when things got out of hand, fwiw. Beyond humor... [NUFSAID]
    That's because you are taking it way to literally and you are taking me way too seriously. [NOWNUFSAID]

My VIN:    10353

There have been plenty of times I was ready to delete my FB profile however stuff like the Delorean Technical group and others is what keeps me from doing so. This site is great for information however in the past posting a question I might only get a single response after a day. FB on the other hand I'll usually have several replies within the first hour which is great when you've got the car on jack stands trying to figure out what step to do next and only a weekend to knock out the project.

That being said, I definitely appreciate the wealth of information on this site. I spent my first month of ownership pouring through tons of old threads here learning as much as I could. Plenty of times someone will post a simple question on FB and I want to tell them to simply search this site as it has been covered in detail!!!

Thanks for keeping up the great work here!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    That's because you are taking it way to literally and you are taking me way too seriously. [NOWNUFSAID]
    No-no. Literally is the only way that it makes any sense (too me when I read it all). I was not taking it seriously at all -- I fully believe you are joking around.

I just wanted to fuel the "gang up on todayers...and carbers..." bit, but you didn't bite and took ME too seriously[IKNEWTHATWOULDNOTWORK]

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

No-no. Literally is the only way that it makes any sense (too me when I read it all). I was not taking it seriously at all -- I fully believe you are joking around.

I just wanted to fuel the "gang up on todayers...and carbers..." bit, but you didn't bite and took ME too seriously.
    Dam! You got me again!

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Speaking of carbs, they are pretty awesome, even 9 years later.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

I just wanted to fuel the "gang up on todayers...and carbers..." bit, but you didn't bite and took ME too seriously[IKNEWTHATWOULDNOTWORK]

In our defense, there is a bit of a lag time between the time when the system crashes and us carb guys actually realize it:

* We don't suspect that anything is wrong until we try unsuccessfully logging in with our dial-up AOL connection four or five times.
    * Upon giving up on the dial-up, we jump in our carbed Delorean and drive it to the nearest Wendy's to use their free WiFi. (Of course we have to fill up the gas tank twice on the 5 mile)
    * After spending 10 minutes remembering how to enable the WiFi feature on our flip phones, we finally establish a weak connection.
    * Then we spend another couple minutes using the numbers 1-9 on the phone's keypad to type out "Www.Dmctalk.orG"
    * Usually by the time we figure the whole internet thing out, the underlying problem has been resolved.

Joking around of course...I don't even have dial-up and I ditched my flip phone for a full QWERTY slider 8 years back. But heck, my prepaid QWERTY slider works and my carbed DeLorean runs ;-)

All joking aside, glad to see that the forum is back up and running!

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    There have been plenty of times I was ready to delete my FB profile however stuff like the Delorean Technical group and others is what keeps me from doing so. This site is great for information however in the past posting a question I might only get a single response after a day. FB on the other hand I'll usually have several replies within the first hour which is great when you've got the car on jack stands trying to figure out what step to do next and only a weekend to knock out the project.

That being said, I definitely appreciate the wealth of information on this site. I spent my first month of ownership pouring through tons of old threads here learning as much as I could. Plenty of times someone will post a simple question on FB and I want to tell them to simply search this site as it has been covered in detail!!!

Thanks for keeping up the great work here!
    I visit Delorean groups on Facebook sometimes/rarely, but I don't like the format for detailed conversations. The responses are sometimes quick, but the conversation is short lived in the "feed". Plus, it's not organized into threads, not easily searchable, etc. like a traditional forum is. That's my preference/ opinion.

By the way, if you need another reason to delete your FB profile, here's a thought provoking news story published last month .. https://www.wsj.com/articles/faceboo...ers-1533564049

I like the concentrated DeLorean information nature of this forum. I have a chosen forum for my other 2 cars, but this one is by far the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamir A. View Post
    Yeah, if I could have put a redirect page up or had an organized email list of all members to keep you up to date that would've been good. But neither were an easy option when this snuck up unfortunately. I'll sort out a plan for the future should something like this happen again. Appreciate the suggestion. In the event anyone ever needs to get a hold of me not through my dmctalk address, my other site entermyworld.com is hosted by a different service, so that email is always functional as well.
    Tamir, a redirect for status updates would be a nice-to-have feature in the future. Otherwise, great job with this valuable forum. I'm sure I couldn't have restored my car as well or at all without it.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-25-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast