FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VIN 16821 for sale.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

VIN 16821 for sale.

Not a bad example, but calling this fully restored is a major stretch especially for the price.

What are they smoking? Lol.

https://www.blackhorsemotors.com/veh...95dc4b9675db4#

My VIN:    3937

What have you noticed that's not finished on that one, Chris, to make it an incomplete restoration?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    What have you noticed that's not finished on that one, Chris, to make it an incomplete restoration?
    The only defects I noticed after scrutinizing each picture were:
    -Slight sagging on one fin (passenger side, towards the bottom) of the fake plastic grille;
    -Rear window finisher distorted (aren’t they all...)
    -Small hole on drivers side of license plate frame (I thought maybe for a camera, but it’s got the Craig radio. So, idk)
    -OE exhaust (muffler, at least. The brackets look new, and having the original exhaust isn’t really a defect in and of itself, but the muffler does look like it has surface corrosion)

It appears to be a very clean car, with a new frame (and likely new everything associated with a frame-off) and service records.
    60 grand is a lot of money, and on the high end for a Delorean, but from the info on the ad, it does appear to be a high end car. I see no reason it isn’t worth top dollar for a Delorean. I guess it’s up to the seller and potential buyer to figure out what “top dollar” actually is.
    I don’t think I’d be able to make my car look like that one without ending up spending a similar total amount of money.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

I wouldn't call it incomplete.

It's certainly a nice DMC, but it doesn't look like it's worth the money they are asking for it. I think it's worth 35k.

I would drive it, just not at their crazy price.

My VIN:    10353

The main pic of the car doesn't even have the passenger door lined up properly. Or they just didn't close it hard enough but still that looks bad.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    The only defects I noticed after scrutinizing each picture were:
    -Slight sagging on one fin (passenger side, towards the bottom) of the fake plastic grille;
    -Rear window finisher distorted (aren’t they all...)
    -Small hole on drivers side of license plate frame (I thought maybe for a camera, but it’s got the Craig radio. So, idk)
    -OE exhaust (muffler, at least. The brackets look new, and having the original exhaust isn’t really a defect in and of itself, but the muffler does look like it has surface corrosion)

It appears to be a very clean car, with a new frame (and likely new everything associated with a frame-off) and service records.
    60 grand is a lot of money, and on the high end for a Delorean, but from the info on the ad, it does appear to be a high end car. I see no reason it isn’t worth top dollar for a Delorean. I guess it’s up to the seller and potential buyer to figure out what “top dollar” actually is.
    I don’t think I’d be able to make my car look like that one without ending up spending a similar total amount of money.
    +1

62k showroom price seems reasonable if leaving room for negotiation.

I'd consider this car to be worth >50K.

My VIN:    3937

Chris, isn't "fully" and "completely" kind of the same word? They share the same meaning at least. You said it isn't a "fully" restored car, but then you said it isn't incomplete either. Which one of those is it?

Like Jack mentioned, the muffler looks pretty rusty though maybe that's not the end of the world. Not functionally, anyway. If nitpicking, I see a little gap in the top of the leather shifter boot that could probably be addressed. Not a ton else, I guess. It's a nice looking car. Certainly has a few areas looking better than on my own car. The frame being one of those, but with it being new, you kind of expect that.

So, if those couple of things got corrected, new exhaust, shifter boot, doors closed properly, is it then a $62,000 car? Or at least $50,000, as Rich suggested? Or if you just left it as is, then it's only a $35,000 car, as Chris thinks?

I mention this only because the description of what kind of car this is AND what the asking price is, are two different things. Two different concerns anyway. And maybe the two, as described, don't go together. Or maybe they do?

Personally, if this isn't considered a fully restored car, I don't know what is. Surely it doesn't need to look like Tony's car down in Florida. Dana's car, yes, probably Michael's too. Those are a couple beautiful looking cars. This car advertised for sale ain't no project, that much is for sure.

Chris, that's nice that you want to repost for sale ads or pictures of other people's cars, but perhaps when you do that, you could add something of value to the discussion of those cars? You gave it your opinion and how it wasn't worth what it's for sale for, I was just thinking maybe you'd like to enlighten all of us with why you think that? You certainly pour over more DeLorean ads and pictures than most of the rest of us do.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Personally, if this isn't considered a fully restored car, I don't know what is. Surely it doesn't need to look like Tony's car down in Florida. Dana's car, yes, probably Michael's too. Those are a couple beautiful looking cars. This car advertised for sale ain't no project, that much is for sure..
    Chris would never lower his standards to buy my car. I used to have problems with his type jumping in my car or leaning on it for a quick FB photo. I was able to solve that by placing a "HELP WANTED" sign on the window. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by Michael; 10-05-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Michael's car is beautiful, but not as beautiful as Michael himself.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I don't get some of the incomplete v/s fully restored discussion... Take the glove box lid. It is all there, so it is complete. But with the dent(s) in it, it's not restored to me. Definitely not fully restored, to most anyone I would guess. So, neither is the vehicle.
    (mho;-)

As for $50K, no. ...$65K, [censored]! Not with the defects listed above and:
    Coil cover broke/loose, sticker color mismatch, like some others
    Door alignment sux X2
    Steering wheel stitching
    Shifter plate has trim on one side only
    Right armrest cap damaged
    Firewall is nasty
    Short block nasty
    Gauge readings look odd to me...maybe not?
    Grain mismatch (roof-door area), maybe?

Nice, but not that nice to me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast