Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NorCal Forest car for sale

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I'm amazed that Ryan and Clint didn't know it was the same car. Did the seller not mention that it was the famed forest car or was he not aware? Perhaps it has passed through a couple of hands since it was last seen.

Still, I'd take it over that Canton NC auction car that has sat in a wet field for years.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

NorCal Forest car for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I'm amazed that Ryan and Clint didn't know it was the same car. Did the seller not mention that it was the famed forest car or was he not aware? Perhaps it has passed through a couple of hands since it was last seen.

Still, I'd take it over that Canton NC auction car that has sat in a wet field for years.
    By Ryan you mean me? (Jon)

I donít know how we missed it, seriously. Weíre whacking ourselves in the head over it now because all the evidence was there. But the forest car was so buried we didnít get a great look, and the chances of it showing up literally around the corner from me (several hundred miles away) were just so slim we didnít even consider it.

In hindsight though... itís super obvious.

Also, yeah @Jimmy - some interesting history on this car. Someone loved it enough to reupholster the interior at some point with a high-quality job, the SS overflow tank was installed, the throttle spool shield recall was done, it looked as though the ignition bypass electrical mod was done, there were upgraded relays in the mouse-eaten electrical compartment, and I very much believe that the binnacle isnít original given the surprisingly good condition itís in compared to the rest of the interior. It also had DMC Garden Grove stickers on the inner door and inside the engine cover, so it made a long trip for service at some point in its life.

Plus that weird ass hitch indicates to me that this was someoneís daily driver at some point. It has nearly 60k miles but has been parked since 03, so it racked up quite a few miles early in life.

The story we got of the previous owner way back in the day was that it had been her husbandís car, he passed, and she refused to let it go. But the property it was parked on made it quite clear she had some kind of a hoarding disorder anyway. The new owner didnít mention its history because he isnít really a ďDeLorean guyĒ - just a dealer in semi-exotic trashmobiles who seems to have a fetish for louvers (tons of 70s Nissan/Datsun Z cars and a 76 Celica on the property with his Porsches)

Anyway, Iím not sure how much heíll be willing to negotiate. He said he got it on a lien sale and had to cover a lot of back fees at the DMV to get a clear title, so heís probably into it pretty deep. I figure it needs to sell for sub-10k to be a viable restoration project, unless youíre the type who wants to do it out of love and doesnít care that youíll put $30k into restoring a $15k car that will be worth maybe $30k when youíre done.
    Last edited by jawn101; 09-25-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, April 2012 to present
    restoration log, March 2011 to April 2012
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    By Ryan you mean me? (Jon) .
    SOAB - I don't know why I said Ryan. I'd even checked your sig to see whether it was Jon or John. And then I typed Ryan.

Time to just walk out into the snow, I guess
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2