FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NorCal Forest car for sale

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I'm amazed that Ryan and Clint didn't know it was the same car. Did the seller not mention that it was the famed forest car or was he not aware? Perhaps it has passed through a couple of hands since it was last seen.

Still, I'd take it over that Canton NC auction car that has sat in a wet field for years.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

NorCal Forest car for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I'm amazed that Ryan and Clint didn't know it was the same car. Did the seller not mention that it was the famed forest car or was he not aware? Perhaps it has passed through a couple of hands since it was last seen.

Still, I'd take it over that Canton NC auction car that has sat in a wet field for years.
    By Ryan you mean me? (Jon)

I don’t know how we missed it, seriously. We’re whacking ourselves in the head over it now because all the evidence was there. But the forest car was so buried we didn’t get a great look, and the chances of it showing up literally around the corner from me (several hundred miles away) were just so slim we didn’t even consider it.

In hindsight though... it’s super obvious.

Also, yeah @Jimmy - some interesting history on this car. Someone loved it enough to reupholster the interior at some point with a high-quality job, the SS overflow tank was installed, the throttle spool shield recall was done, it looked as though the ignition bypass electrical mod was done, there were upgraded relays in the mouse-eaten electrical compartment, and I very much believe that the binnacle isn’t original given the surprisingly good condition it’s in compared to the rest of the interior. It also had DMC Garden Grove stickers on the inner door and inside the engine cover, so it made a long trip for service at some point in its life.

Plus that weird ass hitch indicates to me that this was someone’s daily driver at some point. It has nearly 60k miles but has been parked since 03, so it racked up quite a few miles early in life.

The story we got of the previous owner way back in the day was that it had been her husband’s car, he passed, and she refused to let it go. But the property it was parked on made it quite clear she had some kind of a hoarding disorder anyway. The new owner didn’t mention its history because he isn’t really a “DeLorean guy” - just a dealer in semi-exotic trashmobiles who seems to have a fetish for louvers (tons of 70s Nissan/Datsun Z cars and a 76 Celica on the property with his Porsches)

Anyway, I’m not sure how much he’ll be willing to negotiate. He said he got it on a lien sale and had to cover a lot of back fees at the DMV to get a clear title, so he’s probably into it pretty deep. I figure it needs to sell for sub-10k to be a viable restoration project, unless you’re the type who wants to do it out of love and doesn’t care that you’ll put $30k into restoring a $15k car that will be worth maybe $30k when you’re done.
    Last edited by jawn101; 09-25-2018 at 08:25 AM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    By Ryan you mean me? (Jon) .
    SOAB - I don't know why I said Ryan. I'd even checked your sig to see whether it was Jon or John. And then I typed Ryan.

Time to just walk out into the snow, I guess
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Sorry to bump this thread... I was out of touch with D's. Do you guys know what's become of the car now?

I went to see it once and got very far talking with the family of the original owner, hoping and waiting to save it. Sad things happened on their end, we lost touch, and after years of waiting I missed the property going up for sale. My heart sunk when I heard that, and much more finding this thread.

The original owner is still around so I was hoping to find the car still waiting, but at least the false hope and money pit potential is over. I'd like to thank you all for some closure though, I almost drove a few hundred miles to go see it, and this thread saved me the trouble. The photos meant a lot...I took some of my own and it's good to see the car is out of the woods..even if the hot sun is now beating down on it.

The story above about the car is a bit wrong, but it's close enough I guess... More important I suppose is where it is now?

If anyone knows the VIN I'd love to know what it ended up being (pm me)...it wasn't really readable back then.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by toyotafreak88 View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread... I was out of touch with D's. Do you guys know what's become of the car now?

I went to see it once and got very far talking with the family of the original owner, hoping and waiting to save it. Sad things happened on their end, we lost touch, and after years of waiting I missed the property going up for sale. My heart sunk when I heard that, and much more finding this thread.

The original owner is still around so I was hoping to find the car still waiting, but at least the false hope and money pit potential is over. I'd like to thank you all for some closure though, I almost drove a few hundred miles to go see it, and this thread saved me the trouble. The photos meant a lot...I took some of my own and it's good to see the car is out of the woods..even if the hot sun is now beating down on it.

The story above about the car is a bit wrong, but it's close enough I guess... More important I suppose is where it is now?

If anyone knows the VIN I'd love to know what it ended up being (pm me)...it wasn't really readable back then.
    I believe it has been purchased and is being restored now. I think it's the one on a FB DeLorean restoration group.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-14-2019 at 11:36 PM.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes the car is now in France getting a frame off resto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2