FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DMCH fuel pump

My VIN:    10270

I'd consult directly with Gates technical department and explain that a DeLorean runs 5 bar of system pressure w/ Barricade hose installed on barbed fittings originally used for PTFE hose. Barricade was designed for EFI @ 3 bar fuel pressure (or less, depending on MAP) to be installed on beaded fittings. I'm thinking they'll steer you toward a nylon or PTFE product

My hoses were installed as properly as possible. After less than 2 years, one backed right off the barb and the other wasn't far behind. You could push it back on to the barb with no effort. Since I didn't care for a repeat experience and am not an investor in DMCH I went to nylon hose and called it a day. I have the parts for an accumulator delete mod and once that's done, no more rubber anywhere in the fuel system!
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I'd consult directly with Gates technical department and explain that a DeLorean runs 5 bar of system pressure w/ Barricade hose installed on barbed fittings originally used for PTFE hose. Barricade was designed for EFI @ 3 bar fuel pressure (or less, depending on MAP) to be installed on beaded fittings. I'm thinking they'll steer you toward a nylon or PTFE product

My hoses were installed as properly as possible. After less than 2 years, one backed right off the barb and the other wasn't far behind. You could push it back on to the barb with no effort. Since I didn't care for a repeat experience and am not an investor in DMCH I went to nylon hose and called it a day. I have the parts for an accumulator delete mod and once that's done, no more rubber anywhere in the fuel system!
    Thanks Luke for the detail on Gates hoses. Not to argue here, but wasn't a factor in your situation applying 6? bottles of Techron at high dosage levels to address an engine issue?

I guess that's my point. I wonder why your hoses failed in 2 years, and mine are still good after 5 (with 5 bar pressure and all). I'm not pointing fingers, don't get me wrong. Rather I'm just trying to understand the cause, and the likelihood of an immediate need to change the hoses.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

It was zombies.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Not to argue here, but wasn't a factor in your situation applying 6? bottles of Techron at high dosage levels to address an engine issue?
    Just some carbon cleanup from failed turbo oil seal. I'd think that Techron would be something to consider if my case were isolated. There have been several other reports of the same failure both here and on FB groups.

Techron has been around forever. From a liability standpoint if Techron were harmful to fuel hose I would think it would be well established by now. A cursory search for terms like "techron hose damage" and "injector cleaner hose damage" doesn't really turn up any results, anecdotes, etc.

From the brochure: "Beaded stems are recommended for rubber hose. Barbed stems are for use with plastic tubing only, due to the sharp ferrules and serrated teeth."
    This suggests that clamp torque may have a larger effect on time-to-failure. More torque -> more liner damage. You might have hit a sweet spot when installing yours. Or maybe the serrations on your OEM hose fittings have more of a rounded edge. Lots of variables to consider if you want to perform a comprehensive study
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    03572

You could file or sand any sharp edges off a barbed fitting and result in more of bead.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2