FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMCH fuel pump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    4367

DMCH fuel pump

Has anyone with a DMCH fuel pump PN#107000 performed the mod explained by SB-07-10/2017. The inertia switch when activated does not cut off the fuel pump. The fix calls for cutting the secondary ground on the fuel sending unit side (3 wire connector). Anyone cut this? and did it have any effect on the way the fuel gauge works?

Thanks.
    C

My VIN:    Midproduction

No effect on the gauge. Just make sure you're cutting the DMCH fuel pump module side and not the car's wiring harness in case you ever decide to change to another set-up (i.e. OEM). I'm not a fan of cutting any wiring, so I just pulled it out of the connector and taped it up.

My VIN:    4367

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    No effect on the gauge. Just make sure you're cutting the DMCH fuel pump module side and not the car's wiring harness in case you ever decide to change to another set-up (i.e. OEM). I'm not a fan of cutting any wiring, so I just pulled it out of the connector and taped it up.
    OK, thanks. I am not a fan of cutting wires also so I will use your method.
    C

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

it certainly is a laughable "fix" to cut up the wires on your $420 fuel pump setup.

I have come to learn it is the least of ones problems, the hoses disintegrate from the inside out and the cheap Chinese fuel pump dies before 30k miles.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Did you end up replacing yours for another style pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    it certainly is a laughable "fix" to cut up the wires on your $420 fuel pump setup.

I have come to learn it is the least of ones problems, the hoses disintegrate from the inside out and the cheap Chinese fuel pump dies before 30k miles.

My VIN:    16409

You can get a made in Mexico AC Delco pump that is conpatible. I found it hard to find any that were made in the US anymore.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    That's the preferred ( neatest) approach I heard of as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

That's unfortunate Josh. I don't have near that many miles on mine, but I just passed 5 years with my module installed. It was installed at the time I bought the car, so I didn't experience the downsides of the OEM setup.

So far, it's been running flawlessly, hoses included. Although, admittedly, I use non-ethanol fuel and only once did I add a bottle of Techron.

In terms of longevity, I wonder about the capacity (psi and gph) of the module versus what your LS requires? (I'm sure you sorted through that).

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    So far, it's been running flawlessly, hoses included. Although, admittedly, I use non-ethanol fuel and only once did I add a bottle of Techron.
    It's not the composition of the fuel - the hose provided is E85 rated. It's installing the hose on barbed fittings which the manufacturer specifically recommends against.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    It's not the composition of the fuel - the hose provided is E85 rated. It's installing the hose on barbed fittings which the manufacturer specifically recommends against.
    Hi Luke. Yes, I read the thread on that. However, I'm sure we are not the only people using these fuel injection rated hoses with barbed fittings. I also think it's something to figure out.... nobody likes to take a ride of shame home and/or or have a fire risk after all.

Setting the barb issue aside for a minute, I see 2 concerns:

1) Figuring out what is causing the hoses to soften inside: If the hoses are E85 rated, and the ethanol is causing the softening, then that's a quality/design issue with the hose manufacturer. Maybe it is caused by fuel additives like Techron? I'm not sure, but I think we need to see if these are a few isolated incidents with mitigating factors or a general problem. A deteriorated hose will fail on any type of fitting.

I choose to use non-ethanol fuel in the DeLorean not necessarily to protect these new E-85 rated hoses, but other components in the fuel system that I know were built before bio-fuels came about, and because I had to replace the whole gas tank on my daily driver because the supposedly E85 rated main gasket disintegrated.

2) Figuring out what is causing the hose(s) to back off? Is it the above mentioned softening/deterioration? Is it because they weren't tightened to spec? When I did my fuel accumulator (which has the same Gates barricade hoses) and when I added a check valve to the fuel module, I ensured I got fuel injection clamps, installed the clamps in the middle of the barb portion, and torqued them to the clamp type spec.
    As mentioned above, I have not had any problems yet. I did the same process with my cooling system and never experienced any leaks. Not one drop, and no need to go around to re-tighten hose clamps.

My point is, we should figure out whether we have a design issue, improper installation, or some other external factor.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-26-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10270

I'd consult directly with Gates technical department and explain that a DeLorean runs 5 bar of system pressure w/ Barricade hose installed on barbed fittings originally used for PTFE hose. Barricade was designed for EFI @ 3 bar fuel pressure (or less, depending on MAP) to be installed on beaded fittings. I'm thinking they'll steer you toward a nylon or PTFE product

My hoses were installed as properly as possible. After less than 2 years, one backed right off the barb and the other wasn't far behind. You could push it back on to the barb with no effort. Since I didn't care for a repeat experience and am not an investor in DMCH I went to nylon hose and called it a day. I have the parts for an accumulator delete mod and once that's done, no more rubber anywhere in the fuel system!
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast