FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bulkhead pins pushed in - Reverse light

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Bulkhead pins pushed in - Reverse light

Chasing why the reverse light didn't work lead me to the bulkead connectors. Eventually I noticed a pin in the connector was pushed in ... so far that I couldn't get anything to pull it out.

Fuzzy picture of the offending pin:
    IMG_0485.jpg

I removes the 6 bolts that I hoped held the panel (BTW ... to remove the bulkhead panel, it takes more than the 6 bolts!). I managed to wedge the panel far enough open to get a screwdriver in and motivate the pin out far enough that I could pull it with the needlenose. That was luck!!! otherwise I was in for a lot more disassembly. This is all the space available to work with:
    IMG_0488.jpg

Now the pin is out ... but what you cannot see, and I didn't notice right away, is that a pin (alternator light) in the lower left connector was pushed in as well. That one had just enough (like 1mm) that I could pull it a bit with the needlenose.

When I pulled them out I checked all the pins by lightly pushing them to make sure they were not going to slide back in.

Intermittent operation/failure ... check that the bulkhead pins are not recessed. My dash battery light works with it recessed, the reverse lights did not. Both could have been intermittent.

Who needs yoga when you have a DeLorean. Working on that part has fully stretched my hamstrings.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Awesome trouble shooting, would be the last thing to think of - a collapsed terminal.

I would have removed the plug from the interior side, now you gotta seal that plate up again

Edit: looks like there is no sealant there. The deloreans I have seen have had sealant around the bulkhead panel.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Mine has foam as I recall. It was not damaged in the process so I simply bolted it tight again.

What direction, from where do you access the connectors if you don't remove the panel?
    Nick

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

You remove the three or so bolts holding the carpeted rear bulkhead assembly behind the cargo net and then either flip the "assembly" down or remove it altogether. The connectors are tucked behind on the passenger side.

The metal panel you removed should have had foam for the coil cover but RTV or similar sealant on the seam (if my memory is fine) where the metal meets the fiberglass.
    Last edited by dn010; 09-26-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Good to know for the next time. I don't recall seeing the rear side of the connectors when I've had that panel off before.

I have the foam cover seal. Since mine separated so easily and cleanly I assumed it was gasketed with rubber/foam/other. I'll have to take a closer look later (when I need my hamstrings stretched again) to see if it is still well sealed.
    Nick

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What's really annoying is when they push in like that, but pop back out a little when you pull the connector so it's not as obvious. BTDT
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

The bulkhead connectors caused me very much agony with numerous engine and tail light problems. Even still with the driver side mirror I am having problems because of that type of connector. They get corroded. They get loose. They push in. PITA!

If only they had weather packs back then... But I'm sure the budget wouldn't allow for them even if they did.
    -----Dan B.

I may be having intermittent problems as well now. As I drove today I noticed that I didn't notice my brake lights in cars behind me. Wheen home, closed the garage doors and verified no brake lights. Came out a little later to troubleshoot and now I have brake lights.

Time for a beer!
    Nick

My VIN:    04629

Recessed Pin Troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    Chasing why the reverse light didn't work lead me to the bulkead connectors. Eventually I noticed a pin in the connector was pushed in ... so far that I couldn't get anything to pull it out.

Fuzzy picture of the offending pin:
    IMG_0485.jpg

Now the pin is out ... but what you cannot see, and I didn't notice right away, is that a pin (alternator light) in the lower left connector was pushed in as well. That one had just enough (like 1mm) that I could pull it a bit with the needlenose.
    This past weekend I noticed my Alternator/Battery light 'flicker on' while driving to a car show. I've never seen this before, maybe I'm having "recessed pin" trouble too?
    I have a one year old battery, extra ground, new alternator and good voltage. The funny thing is the voltage gauge didn't change while I noticed the 'flicker on'.

In your picture, which pin is the dash Alternator/Battery connection I need to check mine, thanks.

See post #19 here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...hematics/page2

The wire going to the dash light from the alternator is not in the red connector. It is in the shorter white one (it's #31 in the description list)

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    This past weekend I noticed my Alternator/Battery light 'flicker on' while driving to a car show. I've never seen this before, maybe I'm having "recessed pin" trouble too?
    I have a one year old battery, extra ground, new alternator and good voltage. The funny thing is the voltage gauge didn't change while I noticed the 'flicker on'.

In your picture, which pin is the dash Alternator/Battery connection I need to check mine, thanks.
    Last edited by dn010; 09-28-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast