FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Taillight interior dust reduction

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Taillight interior dust reduction

The parking/running taillight is a great dust collector, mostly due to the huge openings top and bottom. Having a lot of dust stored in there (including in the grooves of the red lens) does not improve light levels!

Here is what they normally look like:
    IMG_0492.jpg

I blocked mine off with foam in a friction fit. There are other ways to reduce the opportunity to get into the lens area such as Gorilla Tape or some form of plastic shield.
    IMG_0491.jpg

If you do not have LED's installed, then you may want to maintain the ventilation. But even with the foam, there is still ventilation holes under the circuit board.

FYI
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Nick,
    You're certainly right. The whole rear end of these cars just suck up the dust. This seems like a helpful solution.

Since we're on the topic of taillights, I've always had a question about the "taillight reflector" that I've seen on the vendor sites:

DeLorean taillight reflector.JPG

Where does this reflector fit in with the taillight? I don't find it in the parts manual but it has a part number and is listed on a couple of the vendor sites.

Ron

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Nick,
    You're certainly right. The whole rear end of these cars just suck up the dust. This seems like a helpful solution.

Since we're on the topic of taillights, I've always had a question about the "taillight reflector" that I've seen on the vendor sites:

DeLorean taillight reflector.JPG

Where does this reflector fit in with the taillight? I don't find it in the parts manual but it has a part number and is listed on a couple of the vendor sites.

Ron
    The reflector fits here, behind the running light:
    IMG_2218.jpg
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    The reflector fits here, behind the running light:
    IMG_2218.jpg
    Thanks, I always wondered because I didn't see it in the parts breakout.
    Ron