Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delorean featured in Turo commercial

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Delorean featured in Turo commercial

https://youtu.be/_v2kzjkEO7A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    Between VINs

Yet, you cannot list a DeLorean on Turo. The ones they have on there are grandfathered into the system, but you can't list a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Yet, you cannot list a DeLorean on Turo. The ones they have on there are grandfathered into the system, but you can't list a new one.

Good. Don't want some dude taking my car to go get burritos. What a stupid ad.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I wouldn't want to pay good money for a DeLorean only to have that headliner hanging over my face.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Like the commercial -- it's positive at least --hate the partial hood sitting. Sorry, too many fragile things can be wrecked by your average wise ass with a few hundred bucks.

That said, I'd pay $230 to experience a BMW i8 for a day.

Here’s one listed in LA that’s had 4 trips taken. This could be the one that was used in the commercial.

Damn If I could get $500 a day it would be tempting. However, these cars are our pride and joy in must cases. You have too think that anyone that would be willing to spend that kind of money, is going to be Very careful in driving it.

I just looked deeper into the listing.

The lister is Cameron Wynne (DMCCA)
    So that says a lot.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-30-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

Cool commercial. Didn't even know what Turo was until seeing this. And still didn't until closer to the end of the clip. Thought it was a music video for the guy singing, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Damn If I could get $500 a day it would be tempting. However, these cars are our pride and joy in must cases. You have too think that anyone that would be willing to spend that kind of money, is going to be Very careful in driving it.
    I think it might actually go the other way. Maybe someone gets a once in a lifetime gift from friends or family to rent the car for the day. Maybe they are a teen going to prom, maybe they're a Dad with kids and a dream but no way to ever have his own.

I could see being wicked careful renting a Ferrari or something in one of those track experiences, but that's mostly because they are with you the whole time and it's on a closed course. Letting my pride and joy out for the day with Joe Stranger hoping he brings it back all perfect and pampered would just about give me a heart attack. I don't think I would ever do this, not from the owner side anyway. And that's not even considering what your insurance company might have to say about the whole thing.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Cool commercial. Didn't even know what Turo was until seeing this. And still didn't until closer to the end of the clip. Thought it was a music video for the guy singing, lol.

I think it might actually go the other way. Maybe someone gets a once in a lifetime gift from friends or family to rent the car for the day. Maybe they are a teen going to prom, maybe they're a Dad with kids and a dream but no way to ever have his own.

I could see being wicked careful renting a Ferrari or something in one of those track experiences, but that's mostly because they are with you the whole time and it's on a closed course. Letting my pride and joy out for the day with Joe Stranger hoping he brings it back all perfect and pampered would just about give me a heart attack. I don't think I would ever do this, not from the owner side anyway. And that's not even considering what your insurance company might have to say about the whole thing.
    I would concur with your sentiments.

As far as Insurance goes you are covered by Liberty Mutual and as owner you can stipulate that the maximum policy be taken by the renter.

Considering who the Owner is in that listing. There is no sentimental reservation in renting the Delorean. Not the case for the typical Owner.

Yes, you can stipulate that the vehicle is just used for Events as A static display.

Last edited by DMC5180; 09-30-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    DENNIS

I've known about Turo for a while but never considered renting the car out until a few weeks ago. I realized that my car sat for about a month without being driven due to my intensely busy schedule and I could probably *do* something with it, otherwise it's just sitting there not being utilized at all.

I started looking into Turo and had some of the same concerns as you. Some of it was mitigated by how they run their operation. Obviously nothing is foolproof, it's possible I could wreck the car on my own on a Sunday drive; given how hard our cars are to see on the road it wouldn't be surprising. Anyway, as I said, Turo has a lot of bases covered:

* All rentals are covered by Liberty Mutual insurance unless the owner provides their own commercial insurance; owner personal insurance is never a factor.
    * Rentals can be restricted by age of renter.
    * Owners can choose to approve each renter attempting to make a reservation.
    * Owners can set the price of the rental, set minimum/maximum days, etc.
    * Owners control pick-up/drop-off location.
    * Renters certify that they can drive a manual transmission in their profile. They can't 'accidentally' rent a stick and then try and figure it out on the drive away.

What does Turo get? They get a portion of the rental cost. For the heaviest insurance, you keep 65%. For the least, you keep 85%. This is a simple breakdown of the coverage levels: https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/articles/217043898
    The missing piece for me, there, is what the agreed value for a DMC is with Liberty Mutual. In dealing with insurance companies and finance companies over the last year my guess is it could fall anywhere between $15,000 and $40,000. Probably the biggest question mark for me.

I'm not selling the service to anyone, I'm not even sold myself. Just trying to clear up some misconceptions that exist based on some of the things I'm seeing posted here in the thread. I'm a person that uses AirBnB, Uber, Uber Eats, etc. I'll very likely be a Turo renter next time I need a car.

I don't think Turo could be very profitable for most car owners based on the rates I see for regular cars in my local market. My MINI, which I put in the system to see how it worked but didn't openly list it, would rent for about $30 a day. My take on it as a Delorean owner is that our cars have a certain mystique that allows it to exist in peoples minds in the same space as a six figure Ferrari or Lamborghini. But in reality it's a car worth, for a daily driver, $35,000 to $45,000. That's an inefficiency that can be exploited in this market. I haven't sat down and done a proper business analysis of this but I figure if I could list it for ~$250 a day and get it two two-day rentals a month that's about $8,000 a year the car generates instead of sitting. There is also the general fun involved in sharing the car with people that otherwise couldn't or wouldn't be able to do so. I imagine I'd bring in some weddings, one-time fantasy ride folks, prospective buyers wanting to get a feel for the car, other car enthusiasts whose garage can't sustain another car, etc. There are plenty of full-on exotic cars on the site and they seem to be using the service successfully; I've read some personal accounts of people buying C7 Corvettes just to list them on Turo and they're generating enough income to make a profit.

For me, my Delorean hobby takes directly away from my sports car racing hobby, and $8,000 a year buys a lot of tires.

But, it's moot anyway. As of right now you can not sign up for Turo and list a Delorean for sale. It's a specialty vehicle (meaning, older than the maximum age requirement, therefore it has to be special to be listed) and they have some confusion as to whether or not Liberty Mutual will cover it or not; in talking to the customer reps they don't seem to know if it falls under the $125,000 car value ceiling. I find it hard to believe that Liberty Mutual is allowing people to register some really unusual stuff, for instance I could go on and list a Panoz Esperante if I wanted. This morning I sent them a link to their own commercial and hinting they're being hypocrites so maybe that will speed the resolution up one way or another. I'm not saying I want to list the DMC, but I want to be able to make that decision myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I could see being wicked careful renting a Ferrari or something in one of those track experiences, but that's mostly because they are with you the whole time and it's on a closed course.
    If you read the terms for one of those events the penalty for going off course is pretty significant. We're not talking damages, but a 'cleaning fee.' I was going to sign my Dad and I up for one at a local road course. The terms stated something in the neighborhood of $400 if you put two tires off and $600 if you put all four tires off the track. This was with a modern Ferrari. The first time I took my BMW 650i out on that same track I put two wheels off on the second lap. Once I saw those terms I figured out something else for us to do with our time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast