FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Center Console Leather Cover - JF Customs

Center Console Leather Cover - JF Customs

Has anyone done this to their car? My center console/armrest is shot and unfortunately replacements are non-existent. Was thinking of doing this, which I found on ebay and wondering if anyone else has any experience with them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-STITC...f58b%7Ciid%3A1

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

No experience with such aproduct, but, I think that sounds kind of pricey for something of questionable quality. Have you called a local upholtery shop and asked what they could custom do for you? Or any of the vendors? Surely they deal with damaged interiors regularly.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I like the look. If your console was trashed, I could see this being worth a shot. Choice of glue and prep would no doubt be crucial.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We had one at our facility recently. The owner had installed this and a few other components from this eBay seller. They were professionally installed but that does nothing for manufacture blemishes poor stitching etc. Better options are available. Best being off a time machine conversion project.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    16795

I just put one in my car, and also used a similar kit from DMCH on the rest of the center console.

IMG_20180930_172124241.jpg

IMG_20180927_093155719.jpg

I did the install myself, and had no previous experience doing this sort of thing.

The cover for the pad/armrest came in two pieces, and didn't include anything for the area where the switches go. I didn't mind because I was installing a Mattaligner switch plate anyway.

Depending on how bad your armrest pad is, this sort of kit may or may not work well. The pad is molded rubber (or something rubber like) over metal, but the rubber provides a lot of the shape. If you strip it down to the metal you would have to build up the shape again somehow.

My VIN:    1589

I built a vacuum box and used upholstery glue and a heat gun to shape a piece of vinyl upholstery to get it to form to the shape of an old console. The vacuum box pulled the vinyl into the depressions as I carefully heated it and I let the vacuum pump run until the glue set up. It took a few attempts to get the vinyl to lay properly at the corners. Once that was done I had to trim the vinyl and wrap it around the edges of the ashtray and switch holes and glue it underneath.

original console.jpg vacuum box.jpg glue.jpg vacuum box two.jpg

trimming photo.jpgunderside.jpg front finished.jpg side finished.jpg

It has been a few years since I did this and the vinyl has held up and stayed in the shape of the console, but the whole process was very time consuming.

in car.jpg

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by dblincoln3 View Post
    I built a vacuum box and used upholstery glue and a heat gun to shape a piece of vinyl upholstery to get it to form to the shape of an old console. The vacuum box pulled the vinyl into the depressions as I carefully heated it and I let the vacuum pump run until the glue set up. It took a few attempts to get the vinyl to lay properly at the corners. Once that was done I had to trim the vinyl and wrap it around the edges of the ashtray and switch holes and glue it underneath.

original console.jpg vacuum box.jpg glue.jpg vacuum box two.jpg

trimming photo.jpgunderside.jpg front finished.jpg side finished.jpg

It has been a few years since I did this and the vinyl has held up and stayed in the shape of the console, but the whole process was very time consuming.

in car.jpg
    That looks incredible. I'm not even looking to recover my center console now, but you have left me *needing* to know more.
    Please tell us more - how does one "build a vacuum box"? Can you elaborate on the entire process of what you did?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    3294

I have the JF Customs center console covers on my car. My car got vandalized earlier this spring where a kid (not one of my kids) burned 4 holes in the console with the cigar lighter element, and my console skins needed replacing. I bought both console pieces from JF Customs on ebay and had them installed locally by my upholstery guy. The quality of the leather is good, and the gray die matches up perfectly with my existing dash board knee pads and such. I went with the "Gray leather with Gray stitching". I have their binnacle cover too, and it looks fantastic.

I've got one place on the main console on the bottom right side below the fan control switch that isn't exactly right, but I can't tell if it's a mistake in the manufacturing process or if the upholstery guy messed it up (I'm thinking it was the upholstery guy). The top piece for the arm rest turned out great, but the area with the cut outs for the window switches was not exactly right. The leather in the area of the switches was a little to thick or the holes not cut out in the exact spot, but my window switches ended up not fitting in the holes exactly right. I ended up taking an Exacto knife and removing the section with the window switch cut outs and bought a "Mattaliner" from Rob Grady to cover up any areas that might show through between the switches. Once I installed the "Mattaliner", I hated it. It put the switches at a funky angle and the lip that sticks up above the switches was annoying to my right wrist while driving. I pulled the "Mattaliner" back out and reinstalled my switches. The switches do line up now.

It was a little pricey, but I am please with the way it turned out.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Cameron @ DMC CA will swap out your center console with a recovered one, and the price was reasonable.

Sorry, this is the best pic I have currently. Zoom in to the console. The only visible seams are very small in the corners.

IMG_6689.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    I have the JF Customs center console covers on my car. My car got vandalized earlier this spring where a kid (not one of my kids) burned 4 holes in the console with the cigar lighter element, and my console skins needed replacing. I bought both console pieces from JF Customs on ebay and had them installed locally by my upholstery guy. The quality of the leather is good, and the gray die matches up perfectly with my existing dash board knee pads and such. I went with the "Gray leather with Gray stitching". I have their binnacle cover too, and it looks fantastic.

I've got one place on the main console on the bottom right side below the fan control switch that isn't exactly right, but I can't tell if it's a mistake in the manufacturing process or if the upholstery guy messed it up (I'm thinking it was the upholstery guy). The top piece for the arm rest turned out great, but the area with the cut outs for the window switches was not exactly right. The leather in the area of the switches was a little to thick or the holes not cut out in the exact spot, but my window switches ended up not fitting in the holes exactly right. I ended up taking an Exacto knife and removing the section with the window switch cut outs and bought a "Mattaliner" from Rob Grady to cover up any areas that might show through between the switches. Once I installed the "Mattaliner", I hated it. It put the switches at a funky angle and the lip that sticks up above the switches was annoying to my right wrist while driving. I pulled the "Mattaliner" back out and reinstalled my switches. The switches do line up now.

It was a little pricey, but I am please with the way it turned out.
    FYI, Rob Grady does sell the Mattaligners without the "lip that sticks up." I have one installed on my car (NOT in the photo I posted above). It works great and looks OEM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast